Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:29:21 AM EDT
Hey all.

Going to start reloading for my .308 bolt gun.  Precision is the idea and with that said, would a turret press be a little less precise than a single stage?  In other words, would a turret press sacrifice a little accuracy for a little more speed?  What say you?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:35:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:48:10 AM EDT
Is this the only gun you're going to load for?  I use the Lee Classic Cast turret press.  But I use it like a single stage for bolt rifles.  I use a Factory Crimp Die for my semis and lever guns.  The press speeds that up as I rotate from seater to crimp die.  But the press really shines when you load pistol ammo.  If all you ever expect to load is for a bolt gun, a single stage is all you need.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:01:03 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey all.

Going to start reloading for my .308 bolt gun.  Precision is the idea and with that said, would a turret press be a little less precise than a single stage?  In other words, would a turret press sacrifice a little accuracy for a little more speed?  What say you?

When you say turret, are you talking about a Redding or RCBS turret or a Lee Classic Turret with the auto index turret?

They say turrets aren't as precise, but then someone will pop up and give damn good results with an LCT.

I haven't loaded much rifle ammo with my LCT, mostly just pistol, so I cannot say that whether or not you trade accuracy for speed.  I can however, say that you definately have more speed.

Brett

P.S.  If you search, there are a lot of threads on turret presses.

I'm looking at either the RCBS rockchucker or their turret press.  Looking to load only for the .308 bolt gun, but could see reloading .223 for the AR in the future.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:11:24 AM EDT
I would definitely suggest a turret.  Far more versatile and gives you a nice gateway into the progressive world, but still gives you the precision of a single stage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:16:51 AM EDT
The only Turret press is the Redding T 7 press and it will serve you well, the other true turrets Lyman and RCBS have too much flex
The gold standard of single stage presses is Rock Chucker Supreme...last several life limes  of course the best for precision probably is the Forster CoAx Press as they allow for a bit of float so the dies self align.

Just remember all the fancy tools in the world will not make a bit of difference if you dont have good basic skills and habits...you can load great ammo with just about any tool if you have the basics down and do not get caught up in having ever little do dad you read about....
KISS method of reloading yeilds great ammo.  

Plus if the jerk yanking the trigger is not capable all is for naught.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:28:22 AM EDT
Quoted:
The only Turret press is the Redding T 7 press and it will serve you well, the other true turrets Lyman and RCBS have too much flex
The gold standard of single stage presses is Rock Chucker Supreme...last several life limes  of course the best for precision probably is the Forster CoAx Press as they allow for a bit of float so the dies self align.

Just remember all the fancy tools in the world will not make a bit of difference if you dont have good basic skills and habits...you can load great ammo with just about any tool if you have the basics down and do not get caught up in having ever little do dad you read about....
KISS method of reloading yeilds great ammo.  

Plus if the jerk yanking the trigger is not capable all is for naught.....

Agreed.  I'm new to the precision shooting world so I figured I would learn the reloading aspect of it along with the shooting side.  I am leaning towards the rock chucker for starters.  Maybe I should look into that piggyback system for progressive loading of my .223 while keeping the single stage accuracy for the .308
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:51:05 AM EDT
From your comments it appears that the Rock Chucker will serve you well.  I bought my Rock Chucker in 1971 and 40 years latter it's still a great press.  I also own a progressive press and a Lee Classic Turret Press, the Lee Classic Turret actually sees the most usage these days.  I load a multitude of calibers, both rifle and pistol and the LCT is quick to set up and I can easily load 200 rds per hour in pistol calibers.  As for accuracy, there might be a slight edge to the RC, but it is small.  With either press I can load 220 Swift ammo that will shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 200yds, so most of the time I go for convenience and use the LCT.  If think you will ever do any case forming or similar heavy duty operations get the Rock Chucker.  A friend has a RCBS Piggy Back set up, and he says he wished he had bought a Hornady or Dillon.

G
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:08:19 AM EDT
Consider the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast.  Being able to quick change the dies, without losing that perfect adjustment you dialed-in, is a huge plus with a single stage.  Whether one or more calibers the Breech Lock system is the only way to go.  Mine is built like a tank.  No flex at all and a great primer disposal method to boot............

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:21:27 AM EDT
The piggy back from RCBS is an abortion!  You have to remember RCBS makes great single stage presses.....their progressives SUCK!
Remember the Green Machine!  That SUCKED BIG TIME hell RCBS does not even have parts for it any more!  Glad I bought the Dillon 450! The
piggy back system grand idea..another RCBS abortion.   The RCBS Pro 2000 with auto index and conventional priming is a better machine.....but still not near Dillon in the world of progressives.....Nothing speeds up rifle reloading due the fact that they require case prep.  If I was going to spend money to speed up rifle reloading....I would buy a Giraud Trimmer!  And, I would still load on a RCBS Rock Chucker.  With prepped brass....you can load alot with setting up your bench for production with things set up....right....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:16:59 AM EDT
Quoted:
Consider the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast.  Being able to quick change the dies, without losing that perfect adjustment you dialed-in, is a huge plus with a single stage.  Whether one or more calibers the Breech Lock system is the only way to go.  Mine is built like a tank.  No flex at all and a great primer disposal method to boot............

This is a very good recommendation as I have a Lee Classic Turret press I use for pistol reloading but recently added the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast for precision rifle reloading for the eact reasons listed above.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.