Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 7:20:09 PM EDT
Well, Christmas is coming, and I'm hoping Santa will bring me a competition trigger for my Bushmaster. I would be interested in your opinions of a single stage, like JP, vs. 2-stage national match. Please consider performance, cost, ease of installation and availability. I look forward to your replies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I only have experience with the two stage Bushmaster trigger, but I can tell you that I am quite happy with it. Installation took about 30 minutes. BIG improvement over the stock Bushmaster trigger.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an old soldier's dislike for set screws, so that limited me to the Accuracy Speaks single stage and ArmaLite two stage triggers.  Have one of each in two different rifles.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that set screw/plunger assembly in the Bushmaster trigger looks pretty fragile...... but I 'think' the rifle would continue to function if it broke or fell out. But then again, thinking usually gets me into trouble. [:\]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got four CLE triggers - one for each of my AR's, including two CLE service rifles, a CLE spacegun, and a Colt flattop that I carry daily. I had some problems getting the triggers in the service rifles to hold adjustment to maintain the 4.5lbs. minimum to be legal in the SR match catagory in highpower & leg matches. A couple of shots of brake & parts cleaner degreased things, then the very smallest dab of #290 loc-tite I could get on the end of a toothpick, applied to the plunger tube & other set screws locked things in place. Been shooting both service rifles in all the matches I could make it too, plus practice, for the past couple of seasons without any more problems. CLE puts a hardened insert into the nose of the trigger's sear engagement surface so that it'll wear a very long time without changing - some of the BM match triggers don't have this insert. Either way, it pays to keep a dab of NECO MolySlide grease on the hammer hook/sear nose. So if you're shooting in a very dusty or sandy enviroment, you'll want to flush your lower out with brake & parts cleaner regularly, then re-lube with CLP & MolySlide. Frank sells the trigger for about $100, and since it doesn't require a different hammer, or springs, you can't get a better trigger for the money. I don't have any personal experience with RRA's 2-stage trigger, but I understand the only way to adjust it is by bending the springs. If you're not competing in HP matches, and don't have to worry about making legal trigger weight, you might want to look into the RRA trigger. For a single stage, I've talked to a few guys with the J-P, in combination with a J-P hammer, and they seem to like it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
OK Flatlander I got a question...

Where'd you get the NECO MolySlide???

Been looking and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]
ARock-
Got mine from Sinclair International, Brownell's also carries it, and I've seen it a few other places too. It's not cheap, at about $7-$8 per tube, but I've been using it for more than four years, and haven't put much of a dent in the tube yet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, since no one else has mentioned it, I'd say the Jewell offers good value for the money (about $170).  Two stage, good range of adjustment,easy to adjust and easy to install (probably 30 minutes on the outside).

I have (or have had) the CLE and the AccuracySpeaks.  They all work, but I did buy a second Jewell.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have just obtained an Armalite 2-stage NM trigger and I will say that I am not at all impressed with the lack of adjustability!

I have owned and used a Jewell for several years now and I find it easy to adjust, VERY CRISP, and well worth the money!

I bought the Armalite NM trigger out of concern about the Jewell in the AR-10.... otherwise I wouldn't have ever tried the Armalite unit.  Now I will state that in my oppinion, the JEWELL is worth the extra money!

As for the Accuracy Speaks unit, I have one of these sitting in the safe as well.  Perhaps I will post it for sale!  This unit is quite good or at least a huge improvement over the stock trigger.  For competitive shooting or serious target work I still prefer the 2-stage trigger!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys. I don't know if it helps me narrow down the choices, but it gives me a lot to think about. I'm fairly certain though, whatever I do will be a big improvement over the stock trigger. Other than that, I am extremely happy with the way my Bushy shoots.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an Armalite 2 stage on an AR10 that I sold and now I have a JP Trigger/Hammer on a Bushy AR Shorty for IPSC and a Jewel on a CLE AR for service rifle CMP. If I thought I could sell the JP, I'd sell it and buy another Jewel. The Jewel offers a better feel for the break, via it's true 2 stage design and it is actually adjustable, while in the rifle without removing it. The JP is crisp and breaks at 2.75 lbs with almost zero take up, but the Jewel offers and almost infinate amount of adjustment in 1st stage wieght, takeup, 2nd stage weight and sear engagement. I can adjust it down to 1.5 lbs and up to I guess about 8 lbs, I can adjust the 1st stage to the point that it feels like a single stage etc etc etc. To adjust the JP's weight, you cand replace the JP hammer with your factory unit and replace the JP springs with the factory springs, either both of these or one...whatever untill it gets close to where you like it. To re-adjust the JP's screws you will need to burn off the Lock Tite and go through the trial and error of adjustments for the sear engagements and then Lock Tite it etc etc etc. The JP is a good unit, but I like the Jewel better.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 3 Armalites with their national match 2 stage trigger.  The oldest one has the adjustment screw and it has to be reset sometimes.  They dropped the screws and now you set the trigger like an M14, with a stone.  I've never had a problem with those two.

Avoid adjustments if you're a serious target shooter.  You don't want to get to the weigh in table at Perry and learn that your screws have shifted.  Happens all the time.

My .02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top