Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 2:57:40 PM EDT
I've got an AK-47 with a sling, and I'm just wondering what's the proper way to wear a sling. It just doesn't seem that comfortable. Even when I've got the sling set up to be the longest length possible, it feels tight when I try to shoulder the AK while still slung on my shoulder. Is this proper procedure? Should you take the sling OFF your shoulder before shouldering your weapon? How do you determine what length is right for you? And ultimately, what should the sling be used for?

Thanks guys. I'm a sling-newbie.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
A sling for a combat weapon is used for carrying the weapon when you aren't presently engaged in shooting people, think of it as a holster for your rifle.

There are 2 methods of carry with a basic  point sling; american- strong side carry muzzle up and african- weak side muzzle down.  Each has its tradeoffs.  

The african carry is fast to get to in a hurry but you have to watch your muzzle as you can drive it into the ground when you kneel or sit.  basically you have  your weak side hand on the foregrip then are you rotate the weapon to bring it up the sling will naturally fall off of your shoulder.  That's the type of carry i prefer.

Of course if you're talking about a shooting sling (which you're not since this is for an AK) then your talking about a device used to help steady the rifle when shooting.

And then there are 3 point slings which  facilitate carrying the weapon at your front without any hands, handy when you have to transition to a handgun and single point slings.

Actually a sling is vital for a combat weapon so its good that you are asking about it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Look here:

Sling Carry Options

Most of these also apply to a normal, two-point sling.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
That's exactly the info I needed guys. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top