Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2016 9:18:53 PM EDT
may be a silly question here guys but-can you get 9mm subsonic Hollywood quiet out of a pistol?

I have a 5.56 can and a 30mm can so I am somewhat familiar with suppressed firearms.

What are your 9mm recommendations and why?

Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:25:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
may be a silly question here guys but-can you get 9mm subsonic Hollywood quiet out of a pistol?

I have a 5.56 can and a 30mm can so I am somewhat familiar with suppressed firearms.

Thanks gents.
View Quote

Yes, or pretty close - key is subsonic ammo.

158gr from a Glock 19 with a good pistol can is pretty much hollywood quiet, especially wet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:29:27 PM EDT
Quietest can on the market remains the Osprey 9.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:05:47 PM EDT
Pretty much. My Tirant9 on an m&p with 165gr handloads shot wet is pretty dang close to movie quiet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:09:11 PM EDT
Ehhh I'll be the dissenting opinion I guess. I never really found centerfire semi autos to be all that quiet. A Handi Rifle or something similar, however, is incredible. And obviously suppressed rimfire if you're into that. For Hollywood quiet in a semi auto pistol, look no further than a Ruger 22/45.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:16:51 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GeneralPurpose:
Ehhh I'll be the dissenting opinion I guess. I never really found centerfire semi autos to be all that quiet. A Handi Rifle or something similar, however, is incredible. And obviously suppressed rimfire if you're into that. For Hollywood quiet in a semi auto pistol, look no further than a Ruger 22/45.
View Quote

I agree with the above post. My Handi Rifle with subsonic .38 specials is STUPID quiet with my Isis 9mm can. Pretty much click..... thud! I use it for critter control, and the sound of the bullet smacking the local vermin is louder than the actual gun shot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:31:27 PM EDT
I'll say my Sig P226 with Osprey 9 and 147 grain subs. It is quieter than my Glock 34 with the same ammo. It's not as quiet as my rimfire pistols but it's close! I never knew the rounds hitting cardboard target backing was so loud.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:02:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BMad316:
View Quote

It's possible the overall average is less than a TiRant, but there's zero chance the FRP is less.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:07:22 PM EDT
All I can hear is a thud when the bullet hits the berm and the action cycle - or sometimes a chunk when it hits backstop wood. No ears necessary.

If that's not hollywood quiet I don't know what is.

Yes, a bolt action delisle would be quieter still. Yes, an integrally suppressed Mk II/Mk III is stupid quiet - maybe a click from the hammer and that little carrier slide working. No sound from the target at all unless it hits wood or something.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:10:52 PM EDT
Never shot a 9mm suppressed but subsonic 22lr suppressed with 16" barrel make virtually no noise, I hear the trigger break and the thud on the target, it's stupid quiet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 57fairlane:

It's possible the overall average is less than a TiRant, but there's zero chance the FRP is less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 57fairlane:

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2016 11:12:21 PM EDT by theJrod]
View Quote
Tirant 9 pretty consistently meters lower from all the tests I've seen.

Hollywood quiet? Not entirely. Il agree that 300blk through a bolt gun definitely is Hollywood quiet however.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:06:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:32:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By graysonp:
M&P's are one of the quietest 9mm hosts, in my experience. And with subsonic ammo and a quality 9mm can, I would say it's "Hollywood quiet".

I have a couple M&Ps with a Gemtech Multimount and the action noise is fairly quiet and you can clearly hear the rounds hitting the target. I often have people asking me about the setup at the range, surprised that a 9mm is so quiet.
View Quote

I have to agree, the thing about Hollywood quiet is there is no slide or spring noise which is most of the sound you hear with 9mm subsonic.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:40:34 AM EDT
P30 + Ti-Rant + Fiocchi 158 grain = Hollywood Quiet

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:43:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:

Thanks gents.
View Quote

Well with 147s running subsonic yeah pretty much.
Top Top