Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 11:47:17 PM EDT
Is it 'eff ay ell' or 'fal' rhyming with 'hal' ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
in italy we simply say fal (rhymes with 'hal')
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#2]
To use a worn out phrase, get both.

I use them interchangably.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
strictly letters.
F
A
L
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I call it by its letters and with the shortened fal(hal) but I believe the correct way it by its letters because its acronym like AR is. We don't call it the arrgh 15 do we
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I call it by its letters and with the shortened fal(hal) but I believe the correct way it by its letters because its acronym like AR is. We don't call it the arrgh 15 do we

only if ye be a pirate!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, it's nice to see I'm not completely off base for pronouncing it rhyming with 'hal'

I mentioned something about getting one to a coworker and he corrected me with 'eff aye ell' and I just kinda mumbled 'whatever' but it appears that's the majority.

Interesting.

I should go to the urban commando forum and ask how people pronounce Linux
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, but very few people say 'enn aye ess aye' or 'ess oh cee oh emm emm' do they?

I should walk into a gun shop and ask for an 'ack fourty seven' or a 'siks' just to see what kind of looks I get.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

only if ye be a pirate!

ho
Edited to add:
Oh, by the way, count me in with the alphabet gang.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Ess
Ell
Aar
(Brit)

Ell
Ay
Aar

Better to pronounce it in American than frog!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
yes, but will anyone know WTF you're talking about instead of FAL?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The Belgians pronouce it "Fall" , but most countries that used the FAL usually just called it the "FN".
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#12]
F'in FAL  (F*A*L* and  FAL-Like-Hal interchangably).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Either one....  "FAL" as rhymes with "pal", and "EFF AYE ELL".  Or as in "Gimme that there rifle, woman". She knows the "SET MEhe
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but very few people say 'enn aye ess aye' or 'ess oh cee oh emm emm' do they?

I should walk into a gun shop and ask for an 'ack fourty seven' or a 'siks' just to see what kind of looks I get.

ok so that was nasa and socom ? I call it both and don't think either is wrong and neither is calling it a light automatic rifle
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Its FAL (hal)

Also in case you are ever asked its:

Glock foe-tay, g money

Nineteen eleven (or simply 'the handgun')

Wheelgun (revolver is a bit mundane)

etc..

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone I know pronounces it as one word FAL.

This stems from the rule of pronouncing Initialism and Acronyms. Initialism does not form a standard word and are therefore pronounced as each individual letter. Acronyms form words which can be pronouned.

Examples of Initiliasm: IBM, SBC, UBS, HTML
Examples of Acronyms: SCUBA, RADAR, LASER, NATO

Fabrique Nationale Fusil Automatique Leger is often written as:
F.N. Fusil Automatique Leger
F.N. FAL

It would than be deducted that the original intent to pronounce FAL as an acronym versus as an initialism.

Of note is the modern derivatives of Fusil Automatique Leger which was so ubiquitous with the F.N. model that the term Fusil d'assaut is often used. The German word Sturmgewehr  remainged unchanged from the original STG series of rifles and was used to denote the Sturmgewehr 58. The term FAL itself was probably not meant to denote the actual rifle but only it's description. The 50.00 and other model numbers (STG58, C2, L1A1, G1) were meant closer to the actual name of the rifle. Any medium sized assault rifle could reasonably be called an FAL. But of course we all know FAL can only mean one thing now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top