Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 10:30:29 PM EDT
I am in the market for a 30 cal suppressor.  I just realized that the SilencerCo Omega30 was made of steel AND TITANTIUM.

It will be used on 4 different rifles. A custom built precision R700LA in 30-06(Intentions to rechamber in the future for 24" 300WM), precision built 20" AR in 308, semi-custom Savage M11 bolt rifle in .308, and a AR15 pistol in .300 BO.  

It will primarily be used on the precision rifles, but I like flexibility.

I was going to go Thunderbeast Arms ultra7CB due to their precision made cans specifically for precision rifles.  I wanted a lightweight can that would work well with my precision rifle considering how much have went into it.
Pros: 9.7oz weight, all titanium, designed specifically for precision rifles.
Cons: Not FA rated, suppressor and muzzle brakes are a bit more expensive than Silcenerco can and muzzle devices

Silencer Co Omega 30
Pros: 14.5oz (lighter than most FA rated 30 cans). About $150 cheaper than Ultra7, Muzzle brakes are $50 cheaper than TBAC
Cons: 4.5 oz heavier than Ultra7, effectiveness of MB unknown.

I would want 4 muzzle brakes.  So $300 for 4 brakes from Silencer Co or $500 for 4 brakes from TBAC.  So in total it would be about $350 cheaper to go SilencerCo Vs Tbac.

Suppression on both are about 134 db for .308. So similar performance.  Size on both are roughly the same at around 7".

What is everyone's thought on using an Omega30 for precision rifle work?  Good enough, or stick with the TBAC 30ultra7?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming that this is not your first .30 can, I'd personally go TBAC, but my rationale is based only on liking to use precision oriented accessories on my precision rifles.  I also favor light weight for hunting.

The SiCo would appear to be the better choice if it might see more semi auto high fire rates.  It is also the more logical choice from a cost basis.  I think the SiCo would be the more logical choice, but I'd still probably chose TBAC, for the same reason someone might buy a Larue or Noveske AR for home defense when there are plenty of other cheaper options for a lot less that would work just as well at conversation distance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assuming that this is not your first .30 can, I'd personally go TBAC, but my rationale is based only on liking to use precision oriented accessories on my precision rifles.  I also favor light weight for hunting.

The SiCo would appear to be the better choice if it might see more semi auto high fire rates.  It is also the more logical choice from a cost basis.  I think the SiCo would be the more logical choice, but I'd still probably chose TBAC, for the same reason someone might buy a Larue or Noveske AR for home defense when there are plenty of other cheaper options for a lot less that would work just as well at conversation distance.
View Quote

It would probably see the most action on the Semi-auto AR .308.  But considering it is not a run'n'gun kind of rifle, the rate of fire will be toned down a bit.  Per TBAC, the chance of reaching 800*F on a semi-auto is not likely if you are not performing mag dumps.  It is a built precision semiauto rig, so like you mentioned precision suppressor = precision rifle.

So I took the leap of faith here and ordered up some TBAC muzzle brakes to get my muzzles covered up since I just sold off all of my AAC 18T muzzle brakes. Silencer Shop does not have any Ultra7s in stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't plan on really getting 134 dB out of these without a pretty long barrel.  Anything below 137 dB in .308 for a smallish suppressor is either a lucky test (there's always variability) or they're testing behind the muzzle (using a different standard than mil-spec).  Both will still sound pretty good on bolt action, so that's really not a big deal.

Your weights are a little light too.   The Omega weighs in the 15 oz. range with the ASR mount and brake thingy on it and 18.2 if you include the brake.  The Ultra 7 is 11.5 with its brake.

For the weight of it, I think I'd go with the Ultra 7.  My understanding is that it still has a decent sized blast chamber, so the baffles aren't right up to the brake so back pressure should be a little better on an AR-10.

ETA: fixed incorrect weight reference.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't plan on really getting 134 dB out of these without a pretty long barrel.  Anything below 137 dB in .308 for a smallish suppressor is either a lucky test (there's always variability) or they're testing behind the muzzle (using a different standard than mil-spec).  Both will still sound pretty good on bolt action, so that's really not a big deal.
Your weights are a little light too.   The Omega weighs in the 15 oz. range with the ASR mount and brake thingy on it and 18.2 if you include the brake.  The Ultra 7 is 11.5 with its brake.
For the weight of it, I think I'd go with the Ultra 7.  My understanding is that it still has a decent sized blast chamber, so the baffles aren't right up to the brake so back pressure should be a little better on an AR-10.
ETA: fixed incorrect weight reference.
View Quote

I figured SiCo and TBAC testing for Dbs would be different.  Everyone will always find the best numbers possible.  I am not necessarily chasing after the lowest db rating.  But it gives me a good ball park of sound reduction.  I opted for the Ultra 7 over the Ultra 9 since there was only roughly ~2db of difference for 2".  The Omega30 and Ultra7 is also more of an apples to apples comparison when you look at size.

Weights are without the muzzle devices and from each manufacturer's website.

Weight of the Ultra7 without muzzle devices from TBAC's website:
CB (compact brake series) = 9.7 oz
Direct Thread series = 11.5 oz

I would be opting for the CB series since I prefer the TOMB style mounting systems.

As per SilencerCo, they only state it is 14 oz.  That is not designating any specifics like Direct Thread or ASR endcap and muzzlebrake endcap or standard endcap.  Either way, it is still about 50% heavier than the TBAC.

I did opt for go with the Ultra7 for its precision build nature and its immense weight savings. I had a AAC 762SD on some of the precision rifles, and you always knew it was on the end since the balance of the rifle would change significantly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a chance to shoot and hear other people shooting both the TABC Ultra 7 and Ultra 9 on a bolt action 308 at a machine gun and suppressor shoot this past weekend.  I was very impressed with how good they sounded.  The Ultra 9 sounded a little quieter but the Ultra 7 still sounded really good and didn't seem to bother anyone's ears without hearing protection.   Granted this was on bolt rifles with pretty long barrels. I also got to meet Ryan from TABC who was really cool.  He was letting anyone who wanted to shoot all of his suppressor on his rifles including his 338 and his new Ultra for 6.5mm.   I was amazed at how quiet the new Ultra for 6.5mm applications sounded on a 260 Rem bolt action rifle.  Ryan said he buys and test all other meager suppressors and that the Omega meters about the same on a 308 as the Ultra 7 but mentioned the weight difference.

I didn't think to ask the exact length of the barrel on the rifle I shot them one but here is a picture of it.  One was in 308 and the other was in 260 Rem, they looked to be identical other than the chambering.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got a chance to shoot and hear other people shooting both the TABC Ultra 7 and Ultra 9 on a bolt action 308 at a machine gun and suppressor shoot this past weekend.  I was very impressed with how good they sounded.  The Ultra 9 sounded a little quieter but the Ultra 7 still sounded really good and didn't seem to bother anyone's ears without hearing protection.   Granted this was on bolt rifles with pretty long barrels. I also got to meet Ryan from TABC who was really cool.  He was letting anyone who wanted to shoot all of his suppressor on his rifles including his 338 and his new Ultra for 6.5mm.   I was amazed at how quiet the new Ultra for 6.5mm applications sounded on a 260 Rem bolt action rifle.  Ryan said he buys and test all other meager suppressors and that the Omega meters about the same on a 308 as the Ultra 7 but mentioned the weight difference.

I didn't think to ask the exact length of the barrel on the rifle I shot them one but here is a picture of it.  One was in 308 and the other was in 260 Rem, they looked to be identical other than the chambering.
<a href="http://s605.photobucket.com/user/wcoats1/media/20150829_151633_zpsfplzbjig.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt132/wcoats1/20150829_151633_zpsfplzbjig.jpg</a>
View Quote

Based on proportions from the McM stock, I would put the further rifle at 22" and the closer rifle at 24".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top