Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2010 8:10:15 PM EDT
Have any of you ever put an adjustable rear sight on  a Colt open top & a front sight to match the highth of it? If you did, do you mind telling how you did it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Not enough "meat" on the recoil shield/frame rear for adj rear sights. But....on the front the trick is to get rid of the bead, and have a taller sight dovetailed into the barrel. A really good gunsmith, Nate Kiowa Jones in Orange TX, does this.

Steve's Gunz

You might also check into getting the hardened firing pins put in - the sorta soft originals have a tendency to peen after a while. Mine did.
I shoot a pair of OTs in .38, 4.75" barrels, with nothing but BP cartridges!
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the informant reply. I think I`m just going to install a universal picatinny rail on  the barrel that wiil extend back over the cylinder & mount the sights (front & rear) to it. I have 3 B&C open tops, so one will be my exspeimental one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that I didn't think of...pix required when done!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I will post pic when I get it done, but will be awhile as I got to get my sh%$t together before  starting the project.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
TAG!
I really want to see a caplock revolver with a rail!

Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
you will when it`s finished. couple  or 3 weeks  if everything goes right.  Trying to get hold of a friend of mine to drill & tap the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
it seems really functional... but... sorta sacrilegious....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It`s not like I`m doing this to an oridgeble, it`s a 1851 replica & they are a dime a dozen
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I've removed the original brass stump...installed a taller front bead..and filed the hammer notch to sight these in.

For as cheesy as the Colt style repro's I've owned were...they do tend to shoot nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top