Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/4/2002 10:37:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2002 10:52:44 AM EDT by 808]
I am thinking of a Bushmaster 16in AR 15 and notice that the Dissipator rifle has a longer distance between the front and rear sights than a 16in E2S Shorty Rifle. Would this be better for longer shots? I am planning on using the gun for less than 100 yards. I am also confused on which models have a removable handle or not ?
A2 models don't have removable handles ?
A3 models do have removable handles? Or is it a option you can get on either model.
Do all Bushmaster models have last round bolt hold-open? When they say it has a non removable handle does that mean that a base can not be added latter to the upper to have a removable handle. I kind of like the Dissipator model but am concerned about the non removable handle because I may some day want to add some optics latter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:05:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 808:
I am thinking of a Bushmaster 16in AR 15 and notice that the Dissipator rifle has a longer distance between the front and rear sights than a 16in E2S Shorty Rifle. Would this be better for longer shots?

Yes, a longer sight radius helps with long range shots. It allows more precision.

I am planning on using the gun for less than 100 yards.

Well I don't see any 'long range' shots at less than 100 yards <G>. Either sight radius is fine for this distance, though you will get smaller groups with the longer sight radius.

I am also confused on which models have a removable handle or not ?

Any model marketed as a 'Flattop' or Bushmaster uses the moniker A3 (Armalite properly calls them the A4 models).

Correct

A3 models do have removable handles?

For Bushmaster (and a few others) that would be correct.

Do all Bushmaster models have last round bolt hold-open?

ALL 5.56mm AR-15s have last round bolt hold-open its part of the design.

Only a few of the pistol caliber conversions don't have it.

When they say it has a non removable handle does that mean that a base can not be added latter to the upper to have a removable handle.

That is usually the definition of "Non Removable".

I kind of like the Dissipator model but am concerned about the non removable handle because I may some day want to add some optics latter.

Then get a flattop Dissipator model, or select optics that do work with the carryhandle (like the Aimpoints, Trijicon Reflex, or compact ACOGs.)
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:07:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 808:
I am thinking of a Bushmaster 16in AR 15 and notice that the Dissipator rifle has a longer distance between the front and rear sights than a 16in E2S Shorty Rifle. Would this be better for longer shots? I am planning on using the gun for less than 100 yards. I am also confused on which models have a removable handle or not ?
A3 models do have removable handles? Or is it a option you can get on either model.
Do all Bushmaster models have last round bolt hold-open? When they say it has a non removable handle does that mean that a base can not be added latter to the upper to have a removable handle. I kind of like the Dissipator model but am concerned about the non removable handle because I may some day want to add some optics latter.

I'm no pro, but sight radius is HUGE for me.
I looking back, I probably should of got the 16 dis. instead of the 20.

When it comes to bushmaster, A3 means its a flattop. You can get the stock A2 style sights as an option( as a rail mounted device). All bushys have the bolt catch.
Added optics to a handle seems to be an easier and cheaper way to go. When you deal with flattops, its in my opinion, the better way to go, but like I already said, its more expensive and more difficult to setup. Plus if your optic ever fails, you still have your stock sights!

This is all coming from someone that still has his stock A2 sights on his flattop, cause I'm going nuts deciding on what I want to do.

Plus figuring out what you want on your flattop is a hassle all in its own.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:20:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:29:11 AM EDT
Quite simply:

Sight radius is important.

A small deivation in sight alignment with a LONG sight radius equates to near miss.

A small deviation in sight alignment with a SHORT sight radius equates to a big miss.
Top Top