Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 6:13:16 PM EDT
where do you buy it?? do you like it??

my front sight post and ears are getting shiny which makes a crisp sight picture hard to get.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure that Brownell's carries it.
I've used it beore on the range shooting, but it's hard to find at the PX. Works okay.
Thought about some flat black spray paint? It won't come off like Sight Black will.(haven't tried paint either. The USMC would frown on that, and my CAR sights are nice and black.)

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I used sight black each day of qualification week during USMC Boot Camp, and thought it was effective and not too hard to clean off.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Most service rifle shooters will use it to blacken the sights between stages.  The sprayon is the easiest to use, but most prefer the smoke/soot from burnt acetylene.  Therefore, they'll use a carbide lamp or a bic-type lighter filled with acetylene.  Try www.georgiaprecision.com www.creedmoorsports.com www.okweber.com

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I use sight black on my AR-15 match rifle and several other firearms.  The idea is to put a thin,
flat black coating on the front (& rear sight) that absorbs all light and makes a uniformly black,
sharp sight surface that is free from any glare or reflection. It minimizes sighting errors caused
by sunlight glinting on your sights.

Commercially, you can buy a carbide lamp specially made to blacken sights (downside is you
have to buy the carbide pellets and thoroughly clean the lamp afterwards.)  When mixed with
water, the pellets emit acetylene gas; a flint wheel lights the gas.  The gas burns with a sooty
flame perfect for smoking sights.  You can also use a candle (hard to do in a wind) or buy sight
black in a spray can (which can be put on too thick and produce an uneven "bumpy" coating on
the sight.  Personally, I use a BIC butane lighter with an valve to adjust the flame height.  It is
relatively wind proof and requires no maintenance.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Try burning a plastic spoon, that will give a usable black smoke.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It's great stuff.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang! I just used some cheap, Flat-Black spray paint from Wally world this weekend.

it seemed like a cheezy idea at first, but it worked.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top