Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 8:32:59 PM EDT
I was at the range Saturday, when I was shooting my AR. Every time I shot all of my shots would go low but sometimes my shots would right on  the target. I can never remember where to put my front sight on the target. My front sight is fine my friend can hit the target everytime with my rifle.

Another friend of mine got his new Saturday and we took it out and, he has never fired a rifle before he was shooting half inch groups with his  rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you have the same cheek weld all the time.  This will make a HUGE difference.  If you fire two shots, raise your head, then obtain a new weld, your zero will be different.

Find a comfortable spot, remember it, and stick with it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Position: Your head and body must always be in the same place for each shot. Target shooters use the "natural point of aim", where you get into position with the rifle pointed at the target, close eyes, shake rifle, and the sight picture should be dead on. This assumes you are shooting from position, and not from a bench. A lot more can be said about position . . .

Sight alignment: look through the center of the rear sight. I place the bullseye at the center of the rear sight (some place the top of the front sight at the center).

Sight picture: for bullseye targets, I prefer a modified six o'clock hold, where the top of the front sight is a sliver of white below the bottom of the bullseye. It looks kinda like this: i. In the regular six o'clock hold, the top of the front sight touches the bottom of the bullseye. Use one of these two sight pictures (there are others, but I don't reccomend them).

Remember, your focus should be on the front sight!

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you are anticipating the recoil of the shot and flinching (a common problem amongst pistol shooters). Try getting your friend to load a dummy round at a random location in the mag and see if the front sight dips when you pull the trigger on the dud.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Good one Troy.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are shooting at bullseye targets, you will do best with a six o'clock or modified six o'clock hold.

If you are having problems getting groups or centered hits, you should be shooting at bullseye targets.

Correct sight picture requires a target (i.e., aiming point), by the way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Remember, your focus should be on the front sight!

Like he said...

FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT...

If you can remember this, you will never miss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top