Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2011 5:32:25 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy a can for my AR's, but I also want to be able to use it on a .22 pistol like a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22.
I've noticed that they make cans specific for .22LR that are cheaper, and obviously you can't use these with 5.56. But will a 5.56 suppressor function properly on a .22LR pistol?  
Take for example the YHM Phantom; it offers -35dB sound reduction with 5.56. Will this work as well on a .22LR?
YHM also offers the .22 Wraith and it claims -40dB reduction... why is this rated for more sound reduction?

My other question is will the larger suppressor (like a phantom) obstruct the sights on a P22 or Mosquito?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If this is a troll post...  

I have a Mosquito, and I have a YHM Phantom.  Looking at the two of them it has never occurred to me to try and combine them...  It would be so heavy and large it would just be ridiculous.  You can get adaptors for anything, but that don't make it right.  And yes, I'm sure the YHM 556 would fully obstruct the sights on the Mosquito.

I think most people will tell you that shooting .22lr through a sealed can like a 556 is kind of a no-no.  You will eventually fill up the can with built-up lead deposits, decreasing its internal volume and effectiveness.   The other risk is that when firing 556 rounds through it, you can shake/knock loose some of those deposits.  If the bullet contacts any of those deposits before it leaves the can, its trajectory can be altered with potentially fatal consequences, like if the bullet gets diverted through the endcap or baffles.

I think you should invest in a nice little .22 can.  I use my .22 cans more than any others, they are well worth the money you'll spend on them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have a Mosquito, and I have a YHM Phantom. Looking at the two of them it has never occurred to me to try and combine them... It would be so heavy and large it would just be ridiculous. You can get adaptors for anything, but that don't make it right. And yes, I'm sure the YHM 556 would fully obstruct the sights on the Mosquito.

I think most people will tell you that shooting .22lr through a sealed can like a 556 is kind of a no-no. You will eventually fill up the can with built-up lead deposits, decreasing its internal volume and effectiveness. The other risk is that when firing 556 rounds through it, you can shake/knock loose some of those deposits. If the bullet contacts any of those deposits before it leaves the can, its trajectory can be altered with potentially fatal consequences, like if the bullet gets diverted through the endcap or baffles.

I think you should invest in a nice little .22 can. I use my .22 cans more than any others, they are well worth the money you'll spend on them.This
This.

.22 cans for .22s.  5.56 cans for 5.56.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not trolling

You speak of lead deposits with the .22... Isn't there a .22LR manufactured thats jacketed? Wouldn't this cut down on the lead?

I'm mainly wondering if the 5.56 phantom suppressor would be even more quiet than the Wraith while shooting .22
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a Mosquito, and I have a YHM Phantom.  ....
I have this can and my BIL has a mosquito.  We have put them together out of curiosity.  It's a bit unwieldy but it works.

And yes, I'm sure the YHM 556 would fully obstruct the sights on the Mosquito.
 it does

I think most people will tell you that shooting .22lr through a sealed can like a 556 is kind of a no-no.  ....
 I called YHM about using my phantom for .22.  Their answer was if you shoot limited amounts of .22 between .556 you won't have a problem.  You would have to shoot a lot of .22 without cleaning the can before shooting .556 to cause a baffle strike.  What is more likely to occur is "wearing out" the baffles prematurely by shot peening them with loose carbon and small lead particles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know of any that's jacketed.  Most of it that looks jacketed is merely "copper plated", which is not enough to prevent leading of the can.  Gemtech is s'posed to be coming out with some subsonic .22lr that is purported to be cleaner running.  As of yet it is unobtainium though; I've only seen pictures...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think most people will tell you that shooting .22lr through a sealed can like a 556 is kind of a no-no.  You will eventually fill up the can with built-up lead deposits, decreasing its internal volume and effectiveness.   The other risk is that when firing 556 rounds through it, you can shake/knock loose some of those deposits.  If the bullet contacts any of those deposits before it leaves the can, its trajectory can be altered with potentially fatal consequences, like if the bullet gets diverted through the endcap or baffles.

This (the .22LR/5.56 can interchangeability question) has to be one of the most frequently asked questions in the suppressor forum.  I asked it once myself when I was a newb.

I suggest we tack the question and the above explanation why it's generally not a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This (the .22LR/5.56 can interchangeability question) has to be one of the most frequently asked questions in the suppressor forum.  I asked it once myself when I was a newb.

I suggest we tack the question and the above explanation why it's generally not a good idea.

Good point. Maybe we can get a mod to make this a sticky thread?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
A 5.56mm can will suppress .22lr very well. My Outback II on a 16" 10/22 sounds almost identical to my FA556AR on an 11.5" AR with a conversion kit in it.

5.56mm cans are much larger and heavier than .22lr cans so any of them would be a pain on a .22lr pistol. It will also slowly fill with lead deposits, carbon, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top