Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2005 5:21:35 AM EDT
http://www.khs-industries.com/community/thread.php?threadid=1804

I found these pics from the Paris show and half way thru the pics there is a Sig 55X in 7.62x51, very sweet! I still believe I like the FN SCAR H but the Sig is a very close second.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The SIG has some really weird weld marks on the rear of the receiver and the mag well. This is contrary to my perception of Swiss quality and workmanship. Is that even a functional model or a mock-up?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The SIG Swiss Arms/Brugger & Thomet SAPR is a pretty cool piece. Unfortunately, Swiss Arms wouldn't willingly sell them to us if they could.

I'd expect the welds are only there due to the fact this is an early form of the rifle. Not that Swiss Arms doesn't like welding sheet metal together though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
dats von sweet!

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting the picture, that is bad ass!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been hoping for a Sig 7.62x51 since I got my PE90/Sig550 :)
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow! Back to the future for Swiss Arms.

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Different operating system in the new one, long stroke gas piston fixed to the bolt carrier based on the AK47 system.  The old one had some funky system that involved the gas traveling down flutes in the chamber to gas holes in the bolt where the pressure then released the bolt or something.  Not like a G3 either though that does have a fluted chamber.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
on a scale of 1 to friggin awesome
that is  friggin awesome
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Different operating system in the new one, long stroke gas piston fixed to the bolt carrier based on the AK47 system.  The old one had some funky system that involved the gas traveling down flutes in the chamber to gas holes in the bolt where the pressure then released the bolt or something.  Not like a G3 either though that does have a fluted chamber.

The AMT/Stgw 57 rifles have a roller locking bolt like the HK 9x. Instead of the huge carrier/charging handle assembly like the HK, the bolt carrier is weighted (with tungsten IIRC).

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone remember the Sig 542?  It is a 7.62x51 model of the 540 series...its pretty obscure, but not as obscure as the models chambered in .222 and .243....It was used in South America and is still being produced in Chile....I personally think that IMI did a better 7.62 NATO AK with the Galil than Sig did with the 542. The 540 looks like a 550 but is internally different and the 550 is a better weapon. The 542's from Chile that I have seen have the fit and finish of a garage built Polish AK...and they are just as clunky. The Sig produced variant that I have shot had fit and finish consistant with Sig's but still felt clunky. The 540 in 5.56 is an excellent weapon but the 550 is even better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT. With all the 5.56 Sig 55X talk, we can't forget our friend in 7.62x51.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Trust me, I know the difference - I owned an AMT.

Funky system? You bet, but it worked and well. Very accurate, reliable gun. Truly a machining work of art.

I was commenting more on the caliber than operating systems.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
My German is very bad, but…

Da für den US-Markt entwickelt, werden M14-Magazine genutzt - hier gefällt mir die Lösung mit G3-Magazinen im HK 417 besser, auch wenn man dadurch aus den Verschlussfang verzichten muss...

the text appears to say US Market

Anybody care to translate?

ETA: Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My German is very bad, but…

Da für den US-Markt entwickelt, werden M14-Magazine genutzt - hier gefällt mir die Lösung mit G3-Magazinen im HK 417 besser, auch wenn man dadurch aus den Verschlussfang verzichten muss...

the text appears to say US Market

Anybody care to translate?

ETA: Thanks for the link!

It says (according to a not-perfect online translator)

Because for the US-market develops, M14-Magazine are used....

That means they'll be importing them, obviously for LE and Mil. sales only. No other way to get them here. It's not, repeat, NOT any indication they'll have a civy version. SwissArms is not receptive to US civy sales. They weren't even when it was perfectly legal. That's what's keeping SigSauer (German and US co.) from making the 551 here....SwissArms does not want to relenquish manufacture of the gun to its German counterpart...and that's what would have to happen to get around the 922(r) import crap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I was getting a little too excited. I’ve come back down to Earth now.

I thought that it was also illegal under Swiss law to export arms for civilian consumption.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
on a scale of 1 to friggin awesome
that is  friggin awesome

LOL +1!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#17]
i have no clue what the answer to this question is but,can it give better accuracy than the AR10/sr25/MK11?

can it give better reliability than the FN SCAR H

it looks nice but does it really offer anything substantialy beter than what is either availible now or in the near future?

i am thinking this could one of those things like these are so great becasue no one has one to truly evaluate?  i dont know, but it wold be nice to have
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top