Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 5:22:36 PM EDT
Okay, I had a gun shop owner tell me that Sig was going to offer the 550 series next year. Is there any truth to this, or is this wishful thinking on his part?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:24:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Solidius:
Okay, I had a gun shop owner tell me that Sig was going to offer the 550 series next year. Is there any truth to this, or is this wishful thinking on his part?

This rumor appears every 6 months or so.

I wouldn't believe it until he puts a new production Sig 550 on the counter before you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:28:50 PM EDT
kinda what I figured, bummer, but then again maybe Sig will come around at least a few years before laser guns hit the shelves
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:41:22 PM EDT
theres lots of talk about this over at sigforums.com

sig corporate in the US is going ahead and doing this without the blessing of sig sauer in germany/switzerland.

In the past it was the HQ overseas that was opposing selling the 550 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:42:58 PM EDT
I thought it is the import ban which has stopped these from coming to our shores. Are they going to start US production????
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:18:36 PM EDT
thats whats being said over at sigforums.

SIG Arms USA is going to do this on their own.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:47:16 PM EDT
Rumor is Sigarms is going to roll their own with polymer lowers and are going to take ar15 mags.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:08:01 PM EDT
What's the point if you won't be able to latch the mags together????
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:03:48 AM EDT
The scoop I got was Sig Arms USA wanted to, the rep told me about a year ago they were going to, but SIG doesn't actually make the rifle. Swissarms, I think, is the manufacturer and they said no.
The 55x is the only AK that really does anything for me, and one of two euro-trash guns I like also. The other is the P90. If I could have one I would, have to settle for an MP5.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:25:46 AM EDT
It's kind of sad how social-liberal-commie philosophy gets in the way of making $$
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:37:22 AM EDT
I bet they do it. Sigarms sees the money making potential in a rifle to compete with the AR in both the civi and LE markets here, and if they make it all in the US the target price is around $1k. It won't likely be as nice as a Swiss 550, but I'd still rather have it than just about anything else. I doubt highly they will mod it to take AR mags, one of the big strengths of the rifle is the magazines, which aren't a whole lot more expensive than AR mags. And FN is also planning on offering civi versions of the SCAR rifles, as well as the P90 and F2000, so the only ones left in the lurch would be Suckler & Cock, and rightly so. Stupid HK could be selling G36's by the damn shipload if they would get their heads out of their asses.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:39:04 AM EDT
SIG Arms has no rights in the 55X series. Many people call it the SIG 55X, but that is wrong. It's the Swiss Arms 55X imported by SIG. I highly doubt SIG is going to take the risk of illegally low balling Swiss Arms. These rumors have been around for years now, with absolutley nothing to prove it. I've seen many e-mail postings that say "SIG is making a US 55X", only to see SIG say, "We'd like to" just like they have since e-mail was invented.

E-mail Swiss Arms if you want the truth. Just don't be surprised by the nazi ass reply you get. (An assumption based on my personal e-mailing) It's not SIG's choice, and they are not at any fault. Swiss Arms are the people who "Have no interest in selling to Americans".

You'll just have to pay ten times what they're truly worth in pre import ban form. That, or move to Canada.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:17:33 PM EDT
If swiss arms is not going to be involved and sig arms is going to make them, then why not ?

Go to Swiss Arms' website and read this :

The company Swiss Arms AG, successor of the SIG Arms AG, is the oldest arms manufacturer in Switzerland. More than 140 years of precision gun manufacturing constitute our solid foundation of experience. The company’s name changed in the year 2000, when it was acquired by two German investors, both weapon enthusiasts. Now competitively sized and employee driven, we continue to build on our tried and true designs, while setting new standards in dynamic product development worldwide.

Then read this section, Swiss Arms' Link 2

Swiss Arms AG, formerly SIG Arms AG, has dedicated more than 140 years to perfecting the art of gun construction and production.

I just wonder exactly who owns controlling interest in Sig Arms ? Are they technically Swiss Arms or not ?

Either way, can someone tell me how old the 55X series is anyway ? Couldn't they be cloned by now "legally" ?

I'm pretty sure all of their patents have expired by now

Also, one more thing... if Sig sells it stateside for 1G then I will pass because there is no way it will be a true 55X gun for that amount !

America is great and the US makes great guns, but you'll have to admit that those Euro-Trash assholes have better QC and tolerances than we do. Hell, even the FS2000 is going for nearly 1800 bucks !!!

A US made Sig 55X for a thousand bucks.... no damn way. That only spells disaster to me
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:08:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By D-duck:

Which is odd considering they sell them in Canada.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:25:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

Originally Posted By D-duck:

Which is odd considering they sell them in Canada.

Exactly. I don't have the e-mail anymore, but when I said "Have no interest in selling to Americans", that was exactly what they told me.

Whoever actually owns Swiss Arms, doesn't appear to be to fond of us. A company not affiliated with SIG or Swiss Arms could make knock offs, but the internal business politics are what keeps us from getting an American made SIG 55X.

Bones, I believe Switzerland's beloved Swiss Arms, is actually owned by Germans now. SIG can't make the 55X, just like Swiss Arms can't make the P220. I'm sure they have some contract that allows them to stay distinguished from eachother.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:06:40 PM EDT
I don't have much fondness for the Swiss considering their "involvement" in the Nazi war machine (neutral my ass).... So I wont "go there"...

But you have to ask yourself....hmmmm, Canada kicked a little ass in WW2, so why do they get them

I don't know, I have been on an HK boycott for a while now. I cannot stand those bastards... and I have reasons because of countless e-mails that were far from kind.

I for one am very glad that the US spit on the XM8.... maybe an American company will buy out HK and do something good with it.

You have to understand that these Euro-Bastards really don't like the US ( mainly companies, I dare not generalize an entire continent)... Even with S.397 or whatever it is called now, they still will not ramp up to build plants in the US to make rifles for us. Civilians probably put as much money into these companies as the military and LEO do. Now that they know they cannot be sued why don't they just build us some fucking guns !!!

Sorry guys, I am just pissed altogether about Euro companies, especially German owned ones
If you read sigarms site carefully when looking at the "match" grade pistols.... they say that they are sent to Germany for assembly, etc... so yeah, they're pure German too. So sad.

Although I am pretty fond of my Austrian ( basically German ) Glocks

Two thumbs up for Gaston Glock I just wish he would design a rifle that didn't look like shit and put it to market
And another 2 thumbs for FN !!! They actually like getting my e-mails. They enjoy making us happy. They hold no secrets, their reps. will give you all the information that you ask for. FN is what a gun company should be ! God Bless the Belgians, best gun makers ever... they have such great history in guns and textiles.

Anyway.. late night rant off. I just hope that if they decide to produce a 55X Sig clone... I hope they don't slap it together and hope for the best because they will most certainly fail. Like I said before... if that butt ugle FS2000 is going to bring 1700+, then a true 55X should bring atleast 2 grand respectively, IMO.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:50:14 PM EDT

I for one am very glad that the US spit on the XM8.... maybe an American company will buy out HK and do something good with it.

I believe General Dynamic owns the rights to the XM8.

nd another 2 thumbs for FN !!!

Agreed. I spent most of my time at Shot Show at their booth. Even though I got in because of my local FFL they spent one on one time with me and showed and were really excited about their products and were excited about selling to civilians.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:42:25 PM EDT
Too bad Chile who license manufactures the Sig 540 series in thier own country(along with a 9mm smg variant based on the sig rifle. coundnt sell them here(Kinda like IMBEL has done with some of thier license built FAL stuff)

I kinda fear the polymer receiver /make it cheap(er) concept......Kinda a SIG version of the AR180B god forbid.

Stamped steel construction was suppost to be a cost effective method of manufacture to begin with!
so there is no real excuse for a 3000.00 stamped steel receivered grunt rifle...M249 MINIMI's dont even cost that much.
But yes, would love to have a 540/550 semi auto.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:24:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pillbox:
...I kinda fear the polymer receiver...

Scuttle your fear. CAV-ARMS polymer AR lowers have a good reputation; I've never heard of any problems w/ them. Lower receivers must bear very little stress & will reduce the weapon's overall weight. OTOH, upper receivers are another matter entirely (as evidenced by HK's abortive XM-8).

FWIW, the SCAR-ARM will employ a polymer lower.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 4:14:21 AM EDT by pillbox]
Im sorry but you lost my meaning when you clipped off the"/and make it cheaper" part and fixated on the polymer receiver...im not anti polymer in rifles , or pistols.........I fear a shitty rendition compared to the original, with short cuts from buttplate to muzzlebreak. that was exactly the reference to the AR180B as compared to a "real" one made 25 years before.....the one now is a loosely AR180 inspired copy by folks that bought the armalite name.
feel free to go ahead and delete your previous post, he who hath no idea that im awash in polymer framed guns and have more on the way
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:10:13 AM EDT
Is the SIG 55X series really any better than your typical AR?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:28:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 11:29:20 AM EDT by pillbox]
lokt, think of it as a really really nice AK...and if they can build it in Chile for in all likelyhood 500.00 or less( No poor central american country issues 2000.00 grunt rifles) Then there is no real reason It couldnt be built here except the lack of want to on swiss arms part. The machinery has long been payed for.... 1977 was the debut of the SIG 5xx series rifles, and they have been sold to some pretty moneyless places.......so the "it such a limited production item that the price has to be high to recoup the cost "thing just dont fly....I just wish chile would make them for the U.S. market....I wouldnt care if the markings were different as the rest of the gun is the same.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:28:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lokt:

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:20:50 PM EDT
The FAMAE S.A.F is a beautiful gun and I would love to have one of those. You can't go wrong with a 55X style SMG spitting out 1280 rounds per minute.

The 55X is not high tech at any level. Many people make the assumption that it's new technology (just like the HK guys that say the same about the MP5) but it's essentially an AK using better quality parts in a different caliber.

As to the polymer receiver, I don't know why they would consider that. Being a box shape, it would have to be super thick to stay sturdy, not to mention the problems with plastic being that near the action and the barrel, and being a connecting point for the whole system.

If there was never an import ban, I wouldn't pay over $250 for a Russian AK, or $600 for a 55X. (Not including the sniper model) I guess one could just move to Switzerland and get one from their government.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:07:23 PM EDT
i saw a new 55x at a local gun dealer outside of pittsburgh today and i had the oppertunity to give it a look over, it was new and it had a price tag 10899.99 yes thats correct almost the price of a new KIA.

was it nice, in a way, but the price tag rediculous, and it was a semi aut not full auto
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:46:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lokt:

Not better, different.

It's like the ultimate AK. Super rugged, very reliable, and accurate.

But, it still isn't as light or as modular as the AR platform.

I've shot the 551 & the 552 Commando and they are wonderful weapons. When you look inside one, at the quality and fit you understand why people get a hard on for Swiss guns, these in particular. Very solid guns, and they are very controllable in F/A.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:39:24 AM EDT
As it was explained to me by Swiss Arms, the issue is not them wanting to export the guns to US, it is about the US not allowing them in. The other major issue regarding civilian sales is much the same in Germany as well: the local government will usually not authorise the export of guns (SIGs or H&K) to non-military/LE end users.

I bought a single 551 as an LE sample and got the Swiss export permit with some effort. No such luck with HK through German authorities, tight as a duck's ass.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:45:40 AM EDT
If export/import was a problem with Swiss Arms, the deal would have been solved LONG ago. Sig Sauer wanted, and offered, to build them here either with Swiss Arms kits or completely with US parts.

Swiss Arms said no. It's not about importing, US regs, or export out of Switzerland.

Interesting to note, also, that the Swiss government has in the last 5 years been surplusing alot of of their military equipment, which was something they never did in earnest. Some Stg.90 parts and mags trickled out. So, apparently the Swiss don't have any problem getting rid of military stuff, just Swiss Arms and new guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 2:05:57 PM EDT by Phil1712]
Pittsburgh, PA, Big Bucks Sport Shop, last week I saw an SiG 550 on the rack with a bipod. They where asking $10,500 for it.

I didn't hold it, but the guy took it off the rack and showed me, real SiG 550.

I can't say how fast the gun will move, but I saw it there. Someone is bound to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By another48hrs:
Rumor is Sigarms is going to roll their own with polymer lowers and are going to take ar15 mags.

GROUP BUY
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:08:27 PM EDT
Sturm has one NIB posted for 8500.00 right now.

To each his own I suppose
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:10:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drew5337:
I bet they do it. Sigarms sees the money making potential in a rifle to compete with the AR in both the civi and LE markets here, and if they make it all in the US the target price is around $1k. It won't likely be as nice as a Swiss 550, but I'd still rather have it than just about anything else. I doubt highly they will mod it to take AR mags, one of the big strengths of the rifle is the magazines, which aren't a whole lot more expensive than AR mags. And FN is also planning on offering civi versions of the SCAR rifles, as well as the P90 and F2000, so the only ones left in the lurch would be Suckler & Cock, and rightly so. Stupid HK could be selling G36's by the damn shipload if they would get their heads out of their asses.

Big +1

It's a straight cluster-fuck on HK's part
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:20:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pillbox:
lokt, think of it as a really really nice AK...and if they can build it in Chile for in all likelyhood 500.00 or less( No poor central american country issues 2000.00 grunt rifles) Then there is no real reason It couldnt be built here except the lack of want to on swiss arms part. The machinery has long been payed for.... 1977 was the debut of the SIG 5xx series rifles, and they have been sold to some pretty moneyless places.......so the "it such a limited production item that the price has to be high to recoup the cost "thing just dont fly....I just wish chile would make them for the U.S. market....I wouldnt care if the markings were different as the rest of the gun is the same.

Usually licensing agreements contain a clause that forbid production for export
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:24:24 PM EDT
Most licensing agreements have a cut-off period too.

Like they only last maybe 15-20 years, etc...

Keep that hope alive
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:13:28 AM EDT
If Sigarms does make these rifles over here then I hope they chrome line the bores.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:52:34 AM EDT
I don't undsertand why some people think that guns like the SIG 550 and Steyr AUG if they were ever sold in the US again would sell for $1,000. That is just stupid.

I was in Switzerland in the spring of 2003, and went to a gun shop in Interlaken. There was a SIG 550 for sale for 2,700 Swiss Franc....that is $2,167.45 at today's exchange rate.

I would like to know what the 550 and 551 sold for in 1989. I bet it was well over a thousand dollars. If there is only 500 or 600 SIG 55x rifles in the US the $7,000 to $10,000 price tag is not that bad for just a rare weapon.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:56:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
If Sigarms does make these rifles over here then I hope they chrome line the bores.

The swiss dont chrome line the 550 series.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2005 10:38:33 PM EDT by Dano523]

Originally Posted By UZI4you:
I don't undsertand why some people think that guns like the SIG 550 and Steyr AUG if they were ever sold in the US again would sell for $1,000. That is just stupid.

I was in Switzerland in the spring of 2003, and went to a gun shop in Interlaken. There was a SIG 550 for sale for 2,700 Swiss Franc....that is $2,167.45 at today's exchange rate.

I would like to know what the 550 and 551 sold for in 1989. I bet it was well over a thousand dollars. If there is only 500 or 600 SIG 55x rifles in the US the $7,000 to $10,000 price tag is not that bad for just a rare weapon.

The rifles sold for around $3000 when you could get them NIB here in the states. (read about the ssame time, you could pick up a used SP-1 for around $400, and new Colt AR-15 a-2 for under $600.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:41:54 PM EDT

That's surprising.......any idea why? I know that a stainless steel air guaged bore renders a bit more accuracy than a chrome lined, but with Switzerland having mountainous and snowy/wet areas, wouldn't a chrome lined barrel benefit them more than the small amount of accuracy they would gain? Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm not too well versed on the 550, despite the fact that I want one in the worst way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:29:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By UZI4you:

I think that you are forgetting about the value added tax in Europe which adds to the price of just about everything. Anyway, I agree that the chances of a $1K SIG 550 are slim to none.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:30:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cloak-n-carbine:

That's surprising.......any idea why? I know that a stainless steel air guaged bore renders a bit more accuracy than a chrome lined, but with Switzerland having mountainous and snowy/wet areas, wouldn't a chrome lined barrel benefit them more than the small amount of accuracy they would gain? Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm not too well versed on the 550, despite the fact that I want one in the worst way.

They consider their steel to be of high enough quality and corrosion resistance to do the job.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:53:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Monkey-man:
As it was explained to me by Swiss Arms, the issue is not them wanting to export the guns to US, it is about the US not allowing them in. The other major issue regarding civilian sales is much the same in Germany as well: the local government will usually not authorise the export of guns (SIGs or H&K) to non-military/LE end users.

I bought a single 551 as an LE sample and got the Swiss export permit with some effort. No such luck with HK through German authorities, tight as a duck's ass.

outcast.homeunix.org/uploads/SIG 551 with scope 2.jpg

The Swiss export assault weapons to every country in Europe that allows them. Germany included. Both Swiss Arms, B&T and small exports of othre stuff.

Same deal with Germany. Oberland Arms exports AR-15s to just about every country in Europe that allows them, as well as other small companies that sell AKs, HK clones (some of them made in Germany, not by HK), and other assorted stuff.

Yes, sure they will not let them export Military weapons.. But a Semi auto assault weapon is not a military weapon. Thats just companies like HK and Swiss Arms dragging their feet for whatever reasons, and blaming it on export regs.

I think it has to do more with a buisness decision then anything else. When I went to the HK factory on a tour (any LEO or MIl can get one for the asking), they said that worldwide civilian sales were less then 10% of all civilian sales. All the weapons I saw them making were for Mil or Gov't contracts. Even the pistols.Why would they want to go thru the hassle of the civilian market, with its ever changing import regs, liability laws, lawsuits, etc?

I am sure that Swiss Arms simply feels that a SIG 55x rifle would not sell very well in the US..... Importing parts from Switzerland would prove to be too expensive, and starting production from scratch in the US would be expensive as well. With the AR market being what it is, I dont think they could compete..

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:08:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Abbot_Hayes:

I know that. If the rifles are to be sold here then they will have to be made here. If the rumors are true and they will be made here by Sigarms, then it sounds like Sigarms has some changes in mind already, such as the polymer lower. I like chrome lined barrels. It gets very hot and humid here in Southeast Texas. This probably just an academic thought for me anyway. If these rifles were made here then they would have to be price around $1K for me to buy one. As far as I'm concerned, if the rifles were much over $1K then Sig could take them and shove 'em up there Eurotrash asses.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:36:44 AM EDT

As far as I'm concerned, if the rifles were much over $1K then Sig could take them and shove 'em up there Eurotrash asses.

Which is why Swiss Arms wont be making them in the USA. There not into building cheap rifles for cheap people.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:56:46 AM EDT

As far as I'm concerned, if the rifles were much over $1K then Sig could take them and shove 'em up there Eurotrash asses.

Which is why Swiss Arms wont be making them in the USA. There not into building cheap rifles for cheap people.

So How MANY + $1k rifles (minus accessories) DO YOU OWN ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:25:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AKsRule:

Probably a whole lot more then you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:07:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AKsRule:

I've got 1 AR that hovers arround that mark, just dropped 1250 on another upper. If you want a FORGED M14 it will run well over. Bolt guns, if they aren't stock, break that quick. Don't even ask about title II transferable stuff. But for an AK variant that's semi only, not likely. I wouldn't even buy a transferable AK at current prices. Bushy AR price is about my limit for a SIG 55x series rifle. Same as a P90, or HK clone (roller lockers). The only eurotrash that moves me. G36 is crap, haven't even tried the UMP, and why did we buy M249s when the 63A was in inventory?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:49:16 PM EDT
I've been floating around sigforum.com and I have to tell you... I think that they are sooooo wrong.
Sig 55X discussion

I don't see how,even one moderator, can say that there will be a Sig 55X within a year or two for ~ 1 grand.

95+% of AR's are over 1,000 bucks stock ! As we have already discussed.... And that is with a dozen+ companies making
complete AR's, uppers, lowers, etc... They have perfect the process of ARs.

I just don't see Sig-USA honestly making such a ridiculous claim to be introducing one for around, or under 1G.

Hell, as time goes by the price on the pre-ordered FN PS90s & FS2000s are going up... and they haven't even hit the market yet !!!

The 55X would be more than a niche market if they could actually make it with Swiss precision and cost the same as an AR, dare I say that the ARs would fall to the wayside, but there is no way it's going to happen.

I'm an eternal optimist... but this is just insanity at its best. No way, no how will that gun float around the 1,000 dollar mark. No way !

Although, if it is to be mostly American made, then I would get one...but I wouldn't pay a cent over 1500 bucks for it. If it were Swiss made then I would pay up to 2, but that would have to be my limit for anything stock. Who knows, maybe Sig-USA and those Swiss bastards have come to some kind of an agreement now that S.397 is Gold

I'll just wait for my PS90... and ammo... And in this time I will wait for SHOT 2006 coming up

One can hope of course

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:47:29 AM EDT
SiG currently manufacutres only the 551 and 552, both of which are manufactured almost exclusively in Switzerland. It is my understanding that SiG has the capabilities to domestically manufacture the 551 and 552 and has in small numbers to satisfy .gov contracts. SiG does not currently manufacture the 550, which in semi auto form has a barrel length which would make it a non-NFA weapon. Enter Swiss Arms, which currently manufactures the 550 for civilian and LE consumption, most notably thier civilain models which are availible in Canada....which is infuriating. Switzerland has complex laws reguarding exporting weapons and SiG has an apparently complex corperate structure. Considering that many of these companies make 90% of thier money selling to military/LE civilians really aren't worth the energy or the investment. Why would these companies set up a factory to make these weapons when it will go tits up when some idiot

commits a horrible act with one of their weapons and the liberals ban them....another ban/attempt is an inevitability. Also, I think they are still a little miffed that we passed the imporation ban in 89 to use legislation as a way to exclude them from competing with American gun companies.
The only reason for them to get involved is the large profit potential, at least for the time being.
Perhaps they will wait and see how the FN 2000 and the P90 are received before introducing thier weapons. It would be a great barometer for thier future success or failure with the competition footing the bill. I belive the US 55x with polymer reciever and STANAG magazine compatiblility was supposed to be availble for examination at the next SHOT show, but this remains to be seen.
I think if the weapon could be introduced in a timely economical fashion it would be very successful. I'd buy one....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:15:03 AM EDT
I have a SIG 550 and 551 and I can tell you hands down, they are super sweet to shoot. The engineering that went into it and the precision fit of the gun is nothing short of spectacular. To say it's a dressed up AK because it operates on a gas piston is ridiculous.

My understanding is that SIG has many of the 55X series in inventory here in the US, they are not manufacturing them. There is a licensing agreement in place that prevents SIG from manufacturing here. I posted this question to Erhardt, the marketing guy for SIG on SIGforum (who by the way is great about talking about new SIG stuff). He has remained very quiet about the whole thing. This speaks volumes in my opinion. When a moderator said he talked to a "high ranking" SIG guy and that the 55X series is going to be out, I have my doubts. Unless someone officially from SIG says "Hey, we're working on it, we have the license issue with SwissArms worked out and we're just perfecting the polymer receiver", I'm not buying that it's anywhere near coming out soon.

The barrel of the 55X screws into the upper receiver, I'm not sure how they would accomodate this on a polymer receiver, doesnt seem like it wouldnt be that strong. When you screw the barrel in, the tolerance is so tight that you get perfect head spacing. I'm no gun engineer, but I just dont see how polymer uppers and this process can co-exist well. I would assume that they will have to pin the barrel in. Also, the scope mount on the 55X series is a slide fit-spring held design. This absolutely would not work on a polymer upper. They would have to redesign by putting a rail on top, imo.

I still believe the stamped steel frame is the way to go. If SIGarms domestically produced a 55X the way Swiss Arms does (flash hider integrated with barrel, chamber and barrel forged using same piece of steel, etc), it's worth every bit of $3,500.

And not to sound snobbish, but if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on it, that's no reason to bash it. It's like people bashing high end cars, i.e. "my chevette gets me to point a to point b just like a corvette".

http://www.peonyland.com/SIG550551.JPG
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:04:11 AM EDT
Swiss Arms still makes the ENTIRE 55X series, not SIG.
How do I know this? In Canada they just got a shipment of the short rifles from Swiss Arms.
Swiss Arms has quite a few LE and MIL contracts that they have been filling in so the gun is still in production. Sales are doing well eneugh to make Swiss Arms want to release a 7.62X39 model that takes AK mags and a new .308 model. Don't beleive me?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top