Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 2:28:44 PM EST
I just picked up a Siamese Mauser that has been converted to 45/70, Its a pretty gun.
Here is the hitch in the giddy up, The serial number is electro penciled on the receiver.
That I can see there are no other numbers on the gun( like the typical mauser that has the serial or at least the last few numbers are nearly every part.
My question is, were Siamese mausers serial numbers stamped or electro penciled.
All other markings seemed to have been removed( or do they all look like that?)
I Know that a company imported a bunch of these Siamese mausers and converted them( Navy Arms I believe) Anyone have one or Know anything about them?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:55:47 AM EST
Siamese Mausers originally had the serial number stamped on the top of the rear recevier bridge in Siamese charactors. So, unless you could read Siamese script, there wasn't an easy way to decipher the charactors. So, usually when the receiver is sporterized a number was put on.
Actually, if the original barrel was on the gun, one could probably guess the what numbers the charactors stand for from the receiver sight ladder.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:30:22 AM EST
Original Siamese had no serial numbers, the siamese characters were of the year it was made, 1903, unless it was german built then it may have a serial number. They can't be imported without a serial number so they were electro penciled in. They were originally chambered in 8x50 rimmed, then later 8x52 rimmed which can't be had without making them from 45-70. Since the bolt face is adaptable to 45-70, most were rechambered to that caliber.
Top Top