Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 5:40:51 AM EDT
I know that some people will shrink down a copy of their form 1 or 4 for ease of carry.  For those that do it, do you just copy the front side with the stamp or both sides?  Is just the front side enough to keep you from having any issues?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I just do the front, all the needed info is right there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I do both sides.  I scan the forms to PDF, then print 1 page of 2 per page, and 1 page of 4 per page, cut out and laminate.  I got a cheapo laminater and lamination sleeves off Amazon for 25 bucks last year.  I keep the half-size forms in the range bag, and the quarter-size forms I usually roll up and stick in the stock, foregrip, or pistol grip.  For example, I have a SBR with 2 uppers, and a can for each upper.  The can form goes in the foregrip for each upper, and the  SBR's form is in the stock, or pistol grip.

Probably overkill.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I take them to the copy shop...shrink to 3/4 size and laminate
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, since mine are all in a trust, the back of the form is blank anyway.

I think the stamp and approval signature is the important part.

I did a DIY laminating job with clear packing tape.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I just do the front...the stamp is the proof.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a professional print shop shrink and laminate mine for free.  That's because I have connections..................

They are all credit card size and live in my wallet.  No way I can forget them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I only do the front side and print out the form via printer at 4x6 photo paper at high resolution print.  It shrinks it to fit the 4x6.  When I get all my stamps in, I'll laminate those 4x6 prints, punch a hole in the corner and put a ring binder on them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't carry my stamps nor do I carry copies. Same as I don't carry my tax returns around. If I get into a spot where the stamps need to be seen it's not gonna be by some cop in a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a professional print shop shrink and laminate mine for free.  That's because I have connections..................

View Quote

How can you read the information when they are this size?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The people who ask for the papers don't even know what they are looking for.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you obligated to show your papers to anyone other than the ATF?   I would assume law enforcement but what about people whom run the gun range?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you obligated to show your papers to anyone other than the ATF?   I would assume law enforcement but what about people whom run the gun range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not by any law.

However, you can decide to play the "none of your business" card, or just show them. Local range wants to see them, and I'd like to shoot there so I comply, but I'm not letting them make any copies or hold on to them. Local LEO wants to question it, and showing them a forms saves me a ride downtown for a contest I'll win in the long run, they can see them as well.

Others here have a very different opinion of showing them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not by any law.

However, you can decide to play the "none of your business" card, or just show them. Local range wants to see them, and I'd like to shoot there so I comply, but I'm not letting them make any copies or hold on to them. Local LEO wants to question it, and showing them a forms saves me a ride downtown for a contest I'll win in the long run, they can see them as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not by any law.

Pretty much this. Local ranges are private, so they can tell you to leave if you don't show them the papers. It's within their right. I think it's silly to get offended about showing "tax documents" but to each their own.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pretty much this. Local ranges are private, so they can tell you to leave if you don't show them the papers. It's within their right. I think it's silly to get offended about showing "tax documents" but to each their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not by any law.

Oh, I'm not offended.  Just curious to know.  A friend of mine was confronted by a real asshole at a local range that wanted to know if he had his papers. ......and when he asked him if he was employed there, he said no....My buddy just kept shooting.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't carry my stamps nor do I carry copies. Same as I don't carry my tax returns around. If I get into a spot where the stamps need to be seen it's not gonna be by some cop in a traffic stop.
View Quote

Well, I felt that way until I got checked with 2 suppressors in the middle of tribal land in South Dakota.  Luckily the warden was cool about it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shrunken copies in my grips, but they're emergency use only if I somehow left my phone (with digital copies) or my binder at home.

The random guy at the range isn't going to see my forms.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have to read it.  Neither does anyone who has asked to look at them up to this point.  It is completely legible under magnification if there were a real need to see it.  

Funny how that works out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to carry Wallet copies and 1/2 size in the range bag (pictured below).  I now have full sized copies in a binder in the range bag...

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Both sides. heavy laminated, hole punched, with a chain attaching to the pouch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I do both sides.  I scan the forms to PDF, then print 1 page of 2 per page, and 1 page of 4 per page, cut out and laminate.  I got a cheapo laminater and lamination sleeves off Amazon for 25 bucks last year.  I keep the half-size forms in the range bag, and the quarter-size forms I usually roll up and stick in the stock, foregrip, or pistol grip.  For example, I have a SBR with 2 uppers, and a can for each upper.  The can form goes in the foregrip for each upper, and the  SBR's form is in the stock, or pistol grip.

Probably overkill.

View Quote

Almost exactly what i do.  Except i use an iron as the hear source.  not pefect, but works well enough.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I just fold up a copy and put it in the end of the grip
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, I felt that way until I got checked with 2 suppressors in the middle of tribal land in South Dakota.  Luckily the warden was cool about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tribal land isn't even considered the US as far as things like possession of firearms and things like that from what I recall.

So yea, you apparently got REAL lucky
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I have taken everything down to 2-sided credit card size and heavy laminated.  I keep one with every item and a set on a ring for my range bag.  Using the high end scanner/copier at work, everything remains legible on both sides.  I have a friend who used to keep his forms on microfilm although I was always curious about how explaining that one to a bubba would go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#24]
.pdf files of forms on smartphone.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tribal land isn't even considered the US as far as things like possession of firearms and things like that from what I recall.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, tribe owned, not tribal.  It was a Tribal Warden who checked me.  Then proceeded to show me his Bartlien/Manners rifle that his .30 cal can was in jail for.  Cool guy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#26]
USB stick in pocket or usually left in car..  25+ yr, never been bothered for papers here
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
50% reduced laminated copy in range bag and full size copy in grip...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Most decent rifle cases have a big flap-type outside pocket.

Just print copies of your paperwork and stash it in that pocket in perpetuity.

If a handgun, fold the paper so it fits between the foam and the clamshell pistol case.

I really can't think of any place I would take such an item where I would not also have my gun case.

Nothing needs to be "shrunk" or fancy-laminated.
If you are worried about your papers getting wet, put them inside a ziplock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#29]

I have t-shirts with a 200% enlargement I wear on my front and back.

Ok, no I don't.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I used to make shrunken, laminated copies but organizing them was a pain, not to mention the cost of lamination.

Now I just put full-size copies in sheet protectors and then put them all in a 3 ring binder that goes in my range bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top