Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/24/2005 8:24:36 PM EDT
hey guys just found an SL8 brand new at a gun dealers, its been there for quite a few years if i remember right. Any way its brand spanking new and the dealer wants $1200 for it is this fair???? also the dealer claims he can get me a G36 im not sure if hes blowing smoke up my ass but he said there is a way to get me one?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:27:40 PM EDT
Don't know if this price is fair... I would not buy one, as there are better rifles available for much less money. The SL8 was discontinued, so I'm not sure how available repair parts will be. In understand they have a reputation for breaking too.

Your dealer cannot get you a G36, but the SL8 can be converted (at considerable additional cost) to mimic the G36. Whether this is worth it to you depends on how wealthy you are and how keen on HK stuff. As mentioned, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:42:37 PM EDT
i know it sounds strange but the dealer claims that he can get any "h and K law enforcement only" guns as long as it isnt select fire. but i was really interested in the sl8 i have currently 3 ar-15's so i know there are betters but this sl8 looks so much more interesting and different it may just come home with me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:17:00 PM EDT
No such beast as a civie legal G36 , other than the SL8 / SL8-1 o'course.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:11:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rebel102285:
i know it sounds strange but the dealer claims that he can get any "h and K law enforcement only" guns as long as it isnt select fire. but i was really interested in the sl8 i have currently 3 ar-15's so i know there are betters but this sl8 looks so much more interesting and different it may just come home with me.

Even semi-auto LE rifles are a no-go for civilian use. They are banned under the '89 import ban. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:29:57 AM EDT
I vote "ney." Blow that money on a cooler rifle. The G36 line is B. S. too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:00:54 AM EDT
You can buy an Sl8/G36 conversion, general price range is 2500-3000 dollars. I've owned several and they work well but for that much money Id rather have my AUG. Unless your dealer has the ability to change Federal Law overnight, he is smoking dope when it comes to getting you a G36.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:16:21 AM EDT
alrighty then thanks for all the info i love the looks of the sl8 but after reading about the bolt cracking problem i dont think i will be buying one. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:10:22 PM EDT
well i did even more reading and it looks like ill be buying the SL8 after all (hopefully) after i found out more about the cracking issue i do not believe it will be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:38:42 AM EDT
I would buy the SL-8 to do a conversion to G36 if it were me. At a minimum I would change the upper rail and the forearm out for the G36 versions, the rail especially has to go. I don't like the thumbhole stock personally, but they won't be importing any more of these in the future so prices won't be going down in the future.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:22:11 AM EDT
i have an SL8 and i love it. i have it in its original condition, i have a 4x14x40 springfield scope on it,and it shoots great. i don't abuse it, throw it around,bang it around,etc etc as i do my ar15,so cracking isn't an issue for me. i use it as my "mid range varmint" rifle/tack driving. i got mine for i think 1500 or so right before they stopped importing them, and i've never heard better than 1200. as for the conversion,my personal opinion, leave it as is, but a good optic on it (3x9 sounds right to me), get the lower rail for it for a few bucks, get a rail adapter/harris bipod combo, and have fun. at least,that's how i do it. i don't think you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:57:32 AM EDT by VelvetHammer]
From selling an SL8 for a friend, and from watching sales here and elsewhere, I believe you should be able to buy a used, stock SL8 for less than $900. Even NIB...$1200 is high for a stock gun with no mods.

While these guns used to sell new into the $1600 range... that ain't what they go for now (and paying a premium for a new rifle probably isn't worth it in this case).

And...even if the gun is NIB, I'd have the dealer take the stock off for you so you can eyeball whether or not the standard split is there at the mag well. It's not abuse that breaks it (well, you could dry fire it while disassembled...and that could cause the split), but it's just the poorly designed bolt hold open that splits the stock. If this gun has been handled in store, I'm sure it was locked open a bit... and it's very possible it's already split.

Top Top