Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 8:55:03 AM EDT

I am trying to build a well-rounded arsenal using a minimum of weapons and calibers, utilizing the top weapons in each class.

So far, as you can see, I have a SIG 226 9mm, PWA CAR-15, and Benelli M1 Tactical 12 guage.  I will soon be adding an M1A as soon as I find a good deal.  I will also eventually add a Ruger MKII suppressed .22, and hopefully that will be about it.

However, I am wondering if I should add an AK type rifle to my collection.  The main good point I can see is ultra reliability, but beyond that, I think I am covered with the other weapons I own.  Plus I would have to stock another caliber, separate mags, etc.

What do you guys think?  All comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone needs an AK of some kind in a collection.

Even with having to stock another caliber and magazine its a minimal investment. $200 and you have ten mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, an AK would certianly be the red-headed step child of that collection!  You have there my friend, some of the finest pieces ever machined!  But then, I don't think you can go wrong with an AK either.  Get a good one though, a SAR would be really out of place.  Look at an Arsenal or Vepr model.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see a precision bolt-action like a Rem 700 LTR or the like.

I'd say you are covered in the medium rifle category, therefore I'd save up and get a tactical rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you do need an ak to round out your gun collection.

Everyone should have an ak for their gun collection.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Well, I figure that with the M1A, and possibly a scope mounted, I can take down most anything out to 600 yards or so (with a lot of range time beforehand).  Most likely, I will just mount my Aimpoint Comp ML on the M1A.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
what kind of shot gun is that? remington 1100 or 11-87?

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Mudzilla, that is a Benelli.  Fine as a Swiss watch but can be used like a hammer.  When you attain one, you too can be a member of the Benelli snob club and gaze down on the peasants.  I'm joking!  I have an older SL 80/121 and I just love to say the word Benelli really slow and accent every syllable.  The otheer fun word to say slowly is Urbino.

IIRC, the Beretta Pintail series are field grade Benellis marketed through Beretta USA.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Look at an Arsenal or Vepr model.  

Maybe a Krebs AK.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, get some.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
So far you have a very nice collection,but to have a complete arsenal you add an AK.Second rifle you should add is a Bolt gun.This usually will be a nice .308 set-up.Third rifle should be a .308 battle rifle such as a FAL.Fourth rifle which is a must for a proper collection is a true Relic rifle such as an M44 or 8Mauser.With these rifles you should now have a complete arsenal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree... Get the best AK you can find and add a top notch bolt gun like a Rem. 700.  I envy you. I wish I could afford an M1 .308 Springfield.  A bit out of my budget right now....

hotgun.gif
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]
oh lol it says right under the pic. whenever theres a pic i hardly ever read what it says on the bottom.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely. Should'nt even be a question.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Get one while you still can. Mags too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone should be familiar with the operation of the AR15/M16 family and the AK family.

Get one.

I dont regret my Krebs AK103K or my Galil.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a SAM-7. I sold it to keep my calibers narrowed down. Also, I feel that an AR-15 does a much better job as an "assault rifle" than an AK-47. I doubt that I could hit a man sized target much beyond 300 yds with an AK. Spare parts for AR-15s are flooding the market. 5.56 ammo is the cartridge of the United States. You will never, ever have a problem finding it, even if certain civiliam ammo restrictions are imposed. Hell, you can probably buy .223 on the black market if one day guns and ammo are banned outright --assuming the US is still using 5.56 ammo for the military. At closer ranges, .223/5.56 ammo is flat out devistating on soft tissue targets. Lastly, the lower recoil of a .223/5.56 out of an AR-15 will allow you to stay on target during rapid fire much more easily than an AK-47. Everything from the sights to the crisp triggers of the AR-15 aids in accuracy at longer ranges.

From a pragmatic point of view, I saw no reason to stick with the AK-47. I saw no reason to own one. Even for cheap ammo, I felt that it would be much better for me to practice with the weapon that I would bring into combat than the AK, which is simply a gun for fun. Plus, I can reuse the commercial ammo for my AR-15 for reloading.

I do miss my SAM-7, but I feel better when I look at my AR-15. If you want the accuracy of the AR-15 and reliability approaching that of an AK-47, go for another good battle rifle. You can probably abuse the M1-A just as much as an AK-47 and still have flawless reliability. Battle rifles are the guns for today's minute man.

But since we are all gun nuts, an AK is ok!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The best thing to do is to find which weapon system works the best for you and capitalize on that system. I see that you want a well rounded collection, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I feel that it is better to get duplicates of your favorite weapon. Get lots of spare parts. Get lots of magazines. Get lots of ammo and learn to reload it yourself. Lastly practice all you can at short and very long ranges. Become truly effective with your favorite weapon system and then you will be set.

If you are collecting weapons of all different types, you will be on the road to evaluating all of them for your tastes. I guess that you should get an AK for right now, just to see how much you like it when stacked up against all the rest.

I would at least go for an AK that is true to the original design. A Vepr is one fine weapon, but it is not a true AK. A SAM-7 is an AK, and it is one top notch weapon. I do hate the muzzle compensator on the SAM-7, and its barrel is too thin IMO. For a milled reciever gun, it should have an AK-47 pattern barrel, not one resembling an AKM. I hate to admit it, but I do miss my SAM-7. Nevertheless, letting it go was the best thing to do. At least I know for sure that I would rather an AR-15, or especially a FAL or M1-A over the AK-47.

Right now the best value in battle rifles is the FAL. Maybe you should try one of those too, when you get the chance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the AR15 family and the current-issue AK family (AR15 SP1, Carbine, and M4...and on the AK side, a pre-ban 7.62x39 folder and a post-ban SAR-2, 5.45x39, with a romy brake. All ARs pre-ban as well).

DEFINITILY get an AK. Different operating system, different kick, etc. No "collection" is complete without one.

Ammo is cheap...it works...and it gives a good offset if you bring both to the range. You shoot both X and Y...and you draw your own conclusions from there, from loading to shooting to cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I am trying to build a well-rounded arsenal using a minimum of weapons and calibers, utilizing the top weapons in each class.

home1.nikonnet.com/sessions/946151162471/5704793lg.jpg

So far, as you can see, I have a SIG 226 9mm, PWA CAR-15, and Benelli M1 Tactical 12 guage.  I will soon be adding an M1A as soon as I find a good deal.  I will also eventually add a Ruger MKII suppressed .22, and hopefully that will be about it.

However, I am wondering if I should add an AK type rifle to my collection.  The main good point I can see is ultra reliability, but beyond that, I think I am covered with the other weapons I own.  Plus I would have to stock another caliber, separate mags, etc.

What do you guys think?  All comments are appreciated.

find an ak in .223 and than you just need mags. Don't know if that was mentioned but if it hasn't been now it has been
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
One good thing about Kalishnikovs that I forgot to mention is that they do not even require cleaning. You could get by almost indefinitely by just pouring gun oil in the weapon to neutralize the corrosive compounds. It might be a good idea to scrape the inside of the gas tube once per year, and make sure that the rails, bolt carrier, and bolt do not see any bad friction from carbon build up. Basically, just wipe them off with your shirt to get the outer crud off. The sky is the limit with kalishnikovs when it comes to the amount of rounds that can be fired without a thourough cleaning.

I guess this is why they are a favorite of communist bubbas all over the world.

However, if you put the communist bubba with an AK-47 at one end of a field and an American bubba with an AR-15/M-16 in GOOD WORING ORDER at the other, the lower recoil, flatter trajectory, and better overall accuracy of the AR-15 will give the winning edge. Unless the person with the AK-47 is just having a lucky day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top