Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2003 12:00:27 AM EDT
Anyone try that Brownell's shotgun wad solvent? Is it any good?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#1]
stupid Q -- why do ya want to clean wads ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you mean to remove plastic wad residue from the bore and choke?  If so, I have never tried that product but have used Brakekleen with good results.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been able to keep the plastic from building up by simply running a dry bronze brush thru the barrel half a dozen times before cleaning it with ordinary stuff, like hoppes or something like that.

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
stupid Q -- why do ya want to clean wads ?

that's what i was thinking.

a 5 gal bucket of warm water and a little dish washing liquid will clean those wads just fine.  rinse in hot water and let air dry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I got some of the Slip 2000 products as an award. It is a new bio-degradable cleaner. One of their products is for cleaning gas pistons/compensators, etc.
I placed some choke tubes in it for the 10-15 minutes as directed. Once I took them out all I had to do is run the bore mop thru a couple times and they were clean as new.

I also used it on the comp on my race gun. Had to brush it some, but was easier than any other product I've tried.

May want to try some.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Blue wonder gun cleaner is the best thing I have found for cleaning plastic from shotguns. It also removes lead, copper, powder fouling, grease, and dirt.  Just remember to oil the barrel after using.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used Brownells Wad Solvent for many years.  It eats wad plactic as well as polyurethane finish which may be on your gun or bench.  Also eats Midway bench pads.  Use with caution as anything it spills on thats plastic could be affected.  My bore has polished enough by now that I rarely use it except to soak chokes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I forgot brakekleen was an option as well. I think I'll try the Brownell's.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Guess I'd better keep it away from my Nova.

Quoted:
I've used Brownells Wad Solvent for many years.  It eats wad plactic as well as polyurethane finish which may be on your gun or bench.  Also eats Midway bench pads.  Use with caution as anything it spills on thats plastic could be affected.  My bore has polished enough by now that I rarely use it except to soak chokes.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#10]
i thought it was for pre-cleaning wads for reloading.
i never heard of built up wad residue in shotguns, but then i dont use removable chokes, and use regular cleaning methods.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I use acetone available from almost any hardware store with an old brush with a patch wrapped around it.  Wad fouling comes right out.
Don't get it on the wood or plastic parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top