Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2002 2:52:10 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a Benelli shotgun for (at this time), hunting ducks. Why a Benelli you say...because my hunting buddies have them is the answer. I understand that when using steel shot a 3" shell is pretty much standard to overcome the limitations of the less dense shot and my 1100 is not up to the task.

According to the store where I inquired there is no advantage to using a 28" barrel over a 24" barrel. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject?  I wouldn't mind going to a 26" barrel on my next shotgun if this is remotely true.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#1]
For every 1 inch decrease in barrel length from 28 inches, you lose approximately 200 fps in velocity.  Not a big deal,but something to keep in mind.

The longer barrel adds weight to the front of the shotgun, and helps smooth out your swing a bit.  It also allows for a bit more precise shot placement, if that is what you are looking for.

A shorter barrel is a bit easier to maneuver through brush, and *may* swing a bit faster.

That being said, I use a 30" barreled Beretta 390 for waterfowling.  Benellis are nice guns, but have a bit more recoil than a gas operated gun.

Bud
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Get, Why not "get" a Remington. The 11-87 comes in 3" and Super Mag 3 1/2" chamber. Several special purpose waterfowl models are offered. You own a Remington 1100 so you are familiar with the line. Remington is made in the USA, 800 number to get info and parts, good web site, very good customer service in my experience and cheaper than a Benelli.

As to the barrel, a shorter barrel give you a shorter sighting plane and does not swing as well as the longer barrel in my opinion. I would not go any shorter than a 26". MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO "Bud" is 100% right.  Look at a Remington and Benelli side by side and decide.  I have, Benelli, Benelli, Benelli.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top