Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 3:04:55 AM EDT
Obviously some swat and military units have shotgun barrels attached to the lower rail of their m4's, but does anyone sell these on the civilian market, and if so who?

A fellow soldier claimed that he had one on his ar-15, and I'm having trouble believing it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]
its teh ghey, dont do it. unless of course you like airsoft
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
its teh ghey, dont do it. unless of course you like airsoft

I dont want one asshat.  I want to see that they exist for civilians.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You're talking about a master key right?

Buy an SBS pay the $200 Fed tax and I don't see an issue. Buy or have a mount machined.

Of course I'm just guessing, this may be better suited in the American Class 3 Assn.

But I don't see what the problem would be since if the shotty is registered as a SBS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahh, masterkey.  Yup, thats it.  I highly doubt that he paid any $200 tax and actually has this.  What a liar!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, there is a second possibility. He could have cut down a shotty to legal length, BBL 18" IIRC I forgot what the legal OAL is. Then mounted it. As far as I now perfectly legal, but the shotty sticks out pretty far past the FH of the AR, and really looks like ass IMO. I'm thinking one was done similar in in the movie "Predator"
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the early '90s you could buy the kit from the back of a magazine, to mount a Mossberg 500 under an AR, I always wanted one but never had the $$$$ (it was exactly like in "Predator" BTW) I think Et-Cetera made it, I might call the last number I have for them and see if they are still around.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
A good away to mess up two good weapns
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Back in the early '90s you could buy the kit from the back of a magazine, to mount a Mossberg 500 under an AR, I always wanted one but never had the $$$$ (it was exactly like in "Predator" BTW) I think Et-Cetera made it, I might call the last number I have for them and see if they are still around.

Yup, I did buy one of those mounts from the old L.L. Bastion catalog.  They sold kits for Mossberg and for the Rem 870.  I bought one for a Rem 870, exactly the same rig that Sonny Landham used in "Predator" (I was young and inpressionable then).   I used an 18" Rem. Police model, and mounted it on an Oly Carbine.  I have to say it looked cool but was heavy as hell and really unwieldy.  This was in the days before Picatinny rails, so it was anything but "quick detach".

Think I paid $79.95 for the mount back in 1991.  Sold it on Bowers about 1999 for $300.  Hey, it's what the guy offered, who was I to complain?.

It was pretty useless, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
This topic should really be tacked as an FAQ.
It comes up fairly often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Hah yet another way to make the AR heavy  ....got to love that never ending quest LOL
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You are looking for this?
www.remingtonmilitary.com/870mcs.htm

Which is basically this

or this

with no stock attached.  It looks like the 2 key components are the picatinny rail on top of the shotgun's receiver (assuming you have one on the underside of your AR) and the picatinny-to-picatinny adapter.  It would appear that Remington should be able to hook you up with parts.

The 2 things to remember is that the barrel must be at least 18" and the overall length of the shotgun must be greater than 26" or you need the tax stamp.

If you decide to assemble one, let me know how it goes.  It looks a little awkward, and possibly uncomfortable to shoot; but if Remington markets one, there must be something to it.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]
It appears many of your respondents are uninformed of current Military shotgun development. The weapon you describe is the Remington MSC Shotgun System
See this URL:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/870mcs.htm

There has been one M4 Accessory Mount version for civilian sale.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
What makes people so uniformed, chrisb1?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top