Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/19/2002 12:08:11 AM EDT
I don't know much about shotguns.

For home-defense, what type of shells do people use?

When you want to avoid penetrating walls, what's safest?

When you're not worried about penetrating walls, what's most effective?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:45:38 AM EDT
without getting into specality rounds,,, probably #9, dove load or something like that would do the least damage after it penetrated a wall,, I don't think there is anything that wouldn't go through a couple of layers of sheetrock, unless it was fired from across a big room and had a chance to spread the pattern out... I like no.4 buckshot, its I think about 24 caliber, and usually has about40 pellets to a load, compared to only 9 pellets of 000, so if you only hit with 1/3 of the pattern your talking 13-15 hits compared to 3 and in and around your home, you will be close up,, so lethality should be rather equal,,If I had to get rid of my 45 various weapons,, assault rifles, handguns etc... and could keep only 1, it would be my High Standard pump riot gun with rifle sights...with all the various ammo available.. you could defend yourself, take running-flying game, and with modern sabot slugs, hold a group of 3" or less at 100 yards, to take large game, I like autos, but the pump would be more reliable with a variety of loads.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:02:08 AM EDT
I use #4 buck, the bird shot is a myth, just use what you need to be safe
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:09:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2002 4:09:52 AM EDT by Renamed]

For home-defense, what type of shells do people use?

If it will fit in the chamber, there's someone out there using it for a home defense load. It's hard to generalize.

When you want to avoid penetrating walls, what's safest?

Not shooting at them. As a general rule, the smaller the projectiles are, the less sectional density they have and the less they penetrate. Opening up the pattern will also reduce penetration once the pellets spread out enough to strike individually instead of as a mass.

When you're not worried about penetrating walls, what's most effective?

For what it's worth, 00 buck has long been the favorite police load. Of course, police also relied on the 158 grain RN .38 Special load for years, so following their lead isn't always a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:09:18 AM EDT
There is a great debate on which load is best for home defense. There's the 00 camp, the 4 camp and even 6 camp, and the camp that likes to mix loads in the magazine, ie a couple of of 4's or sixes then the double ought or every other shell a 4 or six then a double ought.

If you live in a single family home shotguns are pretty much worry free as they are not going to penetrate you're neighbors home and kill someone, if you live in an apartment, condo or most townhomes, it just doesn't really matter because whatever you shoot will penetrate. Some will of course be a little more lethal after penetration, but all can be lethal.

As far as shotgun I personally would alternate every shell from 6 to 00 starting with the six because it gives the greatest versatility. The six (or 4)has the better spread, giving a much greater chance of striking you're intruder even with less than perfect aim, slowing him, then allowing 00 which has greater knock down power to finish the job if necessary on a second, hopefully better aimed shot. I would also recommend using an open choked (no choke) shotgun. Of course, I would actually recommend above that using a handgun or M4 instead, but that's me.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:18:54 AM EDT
I'd definitely use #4 load. Double Ought has a pretty small grouping when shooting inside something like a house. Might as well just carry a pistol. #4 spreads more, and wont go through as many walls as 00 would. And don't even think about slugs...hehe, unless u got a hallway of 50 yards or more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:52:38 AM EDT
Use 000 3" shells they get the job done, and they have a lot more power than a handgun. pistol v shotgun I am grabbing the shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:58:36 AM EDT
2 3/4" OOB, not much kick, and packs a helluva punch. I am not too concerned about over penetration--if some SOB hides behind a wall I want to be able to go through it.
Top Top