Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 3:13:32 PM EDT
I live in an apartment with other people on all sides and above me. The walls are only drywall.

I use a Mossberg 500 as the primary defense gun. It is loaded with 2 3/4" 00 Buck shells for maximum stopping power. I am very concerned about overpeneration and having stray pellets hitting someone else in another apartment if I ever had to use the gun.  Is the 00 Buck too powerful? I have been thinking about steel shot #4, but I am not sure if this is a better or worse idea.

Also, is steel shot okay to use in a Mossberg without damaging the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lead #4 shot will work good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking the incendiary flame thrower shells that you can pick up on gunbroker.  Might be tough to explain to the landlord though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd second the 4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the Federal tactical buckshot loads?  Anyone try them yet?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How about the Federal tactical buckshot loads?  Anyone try them yet?

Yeah I have tried (and use) the 000 tactical load in an 870.  They are supposed to be a lighter load than standard, but they don't seem to be much lighter to me.  I live in a single family home with no kids and brick walls so I can use the heavy stuff.  They would definately be a no no in your apartment scenario.  A 3" #4  aimed at the upper chest/face would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I might use a #4 lead shot round or two "up front" but be advised that there are many, many cases where shot loads at ranges of more than a few feet have not worked well at all. (There is a very good chance that if someone has entered what they know to be an occupied dwelling that they are either drugged up or psycho...unless you have severely pissed off some very unsavory people!) I would be more likely to use some of the Federal reduced recoil #4 Buck in your situation. Get a good, dedicated light as soon as you can afford one...it will not take the place of a stand-alone flashlight, but it will definitely aid in identifying a bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]
No 4 lead would be good.  Federal also makes a like of Personal Defense shotgun shells for home defense.  They open up really fast and a light on recoil they are 12 gauge 2-3/4", 1-1/4oz shot, No 2 shot and come in 10 round boxes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I think your concern is REAL.  You'd better do a test.

Make a small section of wall (2X4 frame supporting 2 layers of drywall) and take it to the range.  Shoot it with various loads until you find one that does not over penetrate too badly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep no.4 for the first 2 shots then 00 and sabot slugs alternated. then i live in a house and if it takes more than 2 shots, *katy bar the doors*
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the light target loads I loaded mine up with some cheap Federal Game Shock from walmart for only $3 a box but have no worries at all about it getting the job done. If your apartment is anything like mine its probably fairly small my furthest shot is gonna be probably 15-20 feet tops and if the first shot doesnt hit him like a train I have 7 more from where that came from.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My old apt was much like yours, except I had neighbors below, but none above.

My solution was #7 shot;  Even getting hit with that at inside-the-apt ranges would really suck.

At least, I think it would.  There's no way in hell I'm gonna volunteer to find out.

(besides....the AR and loaded mags were always close at hand if the S really HTF)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks eveyone for the advice.  This weekend, I think I will see if I can find some drywall scraps and set up a test for penetration.

I already have a Surefire 623FA on the mossberg, so that is taken care of, but I will look into #4 lead shot and see how it works.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Let us know your findings too please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top