[#1]
Magna-port.
Fewer holes.

I really don't know.
What are the pro's and con's of each?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Waverunner,
Before you send the barrel off to Magna-port, give Cabalas' a call.  They have set up a deal with them. You pay Cabalas and send the barrel off to Magna-port.  It will save you 1/3 of the cost.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
In addition to the compensating ports, Vang Comp lengthens the forcing cone and back-bores the barrel, which reduces felt recoil, tightens patterns, and increases accuracy. He also claims the ports reduce muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Wave - I have a Vang but I have no experience with Magna Port - so take this for what it is.

Big Bear is correct - porting is only one thing that Vang does.

FWIW - porting helps with the recoil; however the biggest advantage to porting is that is reduces muzzle flip dramatically - great for steel courses.

The forcing cone work is the true beauty of Vang's work. (You can get both ported and unported work and models).

What I reccommend - call Hans Vang himself and speak to him about the fact that you are LE (may give you a price break) and what type of shooting you intend to do.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Wave, if you want to have your barrel ported OK but I wanted to let you know that I have a number of shotguns - all have barrels either 28" or 30", so I don't have any with short barrels. Anyway I shoot all of them and I must tell you that I can't tell any difference between the ported and non-ported barrels.

For two years I shot a Browning Gold Sporting - it came ported. Currently I'm shooting a Beretta AL390 - its not ported. I shoot both about equally well, meaning my scores are about the same with either shotgun.

I also have Browning Over/Unders some ported and some non ported. Same story. For me anyway it just makes no difference if they are ported or not.

Remember the pressure in a shotgun barrel is way lower than a rifle. (11,000 psi vs. 50,000 psi) so there is a lot less pressure working on the ports in shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Runner, I'm beginning to worry about you.  This shotgun thing is becoming a habit!

Your AR's are going to be jealous!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Runner, I'm beginning to worry about you.  This shotgun thing is becoming a habit!

Your AR's are going to be jealous!

It a good habit too
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered a barrel for an 870 from Kurt, and a Knoxx folding copstock from their web site.

I know the Vang barrels are great, but for about the same price of a Vang barrel, you can get one of Kurt's barrels and a Copstock.  While the Vang barrel is backbored, Kurt's is not.  But I am hoping the copstock will give me the same recoil reduction.

My logic:  porting will help reduce muzzle flip (and it cuts recoil some too).  But by having the stock, I retain recoil reduction if I change barrels.  With the Vang, it is all in the barrel.  I can always have Kurt's barrel backbored later on if I think I need too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top