Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 1:33:05 PM EDT
The SCAR-SD just didn't do it for me personally.  The Omni was a real surprise.  The M4-2000 is a known quantity and overall the quietest.

The SCAR-SD is short and light so, if that's your primary requirement it fits the need very well.  I would not consider it ear safe on a short barrel.  It was just plain loud even standing 20 feet away.  The blast across my face was greater as well.  On longer barrels it was nicer but, on anything over 16 inches I'm not looking for a compact suppressor.

The AAC Omni and Gem-Tech Halo were essentially equal suppressors.  They were only slightly louder then the M4-2000.  They both really surprised me.  While I don't know that they belong on a precision rifle, the advantages of having a suppressor that can be moved between rifles without a $100 mount are obvious.  You need to pay attention to the A2 flash hider and make sure everything snugs down properly but, that is pretty easy to do and it is certainly cheaper then the other QD options.

The M4-2000 is still the quietest suppressor if you are shooting a full size rifle and the extra weight and length are not a problem for you.  If you have several uppers you shoot with, then don't forget to add the cost of the QD adapters.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Ummmm... how about some pics.... lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I didn't bring a camera, just some ammunition.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
i really liked how the scar sd was almost "un-noticeable" on the end of my 11.5" barrel. the reduced weight over the m4 2000 was dramatic and makes a huge difference when moving from one target to another.

sure- it had a sharper crack to it but its not designed to be a snipers can. that being the case, it will be a welcome addition to my family.

i certainly won't be shooting it much without at least one ear plug in but i bought it for its compact size and ease of manuverability when it resides on the shorty. next time i'll try it on something considerably longer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind that I don't see a short barrel .223 in my future for home protection or zapping bad guys wearing kevlar at close range.  I guess I see a .223 more as a recreational item or possibly in a defensive role at home where I could use a 20 or 24 barreled rifle if I had to.  That harsh blast with a short .223 just isn't any fun for me.  A long can on a short barrel defeats the purpose.  I think I'm more a mid-size can and barrel length shooter in the AR-15 platform.

I should note that I didn't really like the 9mm M-16 either.  Hmmm..... maybe it's the platform that is the problem for me personally because that MP-5 in 9mm without the Raptor was so sweet.

All three are really nice cans.  I guess the Omni and M4-2000 fit me best because I'm not a CQB with rifle kind of guy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Freddy,

If the SCAR-L precision variant is using the SCAR-SD who or what was the S2-R desinged for?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As you have stated the OMNI has the obvious advantage of being able to use a standard A2 flash hider.  The M4-2000 .5x28 flash hider mounts retail for $75 not $100.

I'm glad you enjoyed our products.

I stand corrected on the price of the mount.    AAC's retail price listed on their website is $95 so, that's where I was coming from.

I will note that I am not opposed to QD mounts, I just wanted to point out that there are other options out there that may work as well as a QD mount and be cheaper over all to the retail consumer.  The fact that I liked the OMNI so much more then I expected only makes it that much better an option for me personally.

I will further note that I have voted with my wallet more then once that AAC builds the right product for me.  I have enjoyed shooting your stuff courtesy of a good local dealer and a customer that brings lots of toys and lets me play too!    I'm still waiting on paperwork and transfers ...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top