Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 3:20:25 PM EDT
It was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. Shot a friend's the other day. It was a .54 caliber with octagon barrel, double triggers and hammer...not the bolt action type. Huge cloud of smoke, delayed KABOOM..it was AWESOME! I am wanting to get one but I have absolutely zero experience or knowledge of black powder firearms. In fact..I used to scough at them because I had never shot one. He paid $90 for his gun at a pawn shop 10 years ago. What could I expect to pay for an "entry level" black powder muzzle loader similar to his with the double triggers, wood stock, hammer etc...I believe his is a thompson. Thanks guys! It is almost scary how much fun I had. Usually means that not long after...my money starts floating out of my wallet. Any other info is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Two to Three hundred dollars will get you a good rifle. As with anything, you can spend a lot more than that.
This time of year, you should be able to pick up a synthetic stock muzzleloader for under a hundred bucks if you just want to get a taste.
Check out Cabelas.
Cabelas Muzzleloaders
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Since so many people that just can't or will not learn to shoot a real muzzleloader have traded all of their old style rifles for the inlines you are now able to find good used sidehammer rifles very cheap.

I have seen rifles that were like new sell for one fourth of their new price.

You can now find a good used rifle that will last you a lifetime for about $150
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Thompson White Mountain Carbine in .50, altho it's available in .54.  Don't think you can get it with double trigs, tho.  I've seen then used for around $100, $115.  Love that rifle, tho, points and handles great.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations. Now go find yourself a flintlock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top