Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 3/25/2009 2:23:30 PM EDT
Hey fella's i spoke to a gun shop owner and he was saying i could not own a AOW in TX. while that was not even the discussion i was trying to have with him it did make me wonder what exactly would the shotty i want to build be classified as? Heres the specs i want to go for i would appriciate it if someone could put into laymans terms what i need to do to own it and what it would be considered.

14" barrel
Top folding stock
870 receiver

i really appriciate any info yall can give me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:57:05 PM EDT
Texas allows almost everything....AOW, SBS, SBR, etc.,etc. I would probably avoid going to whoever told you AOW not allowed.

your mentioned config w/ top folding stock makes it a SBS. some others will be along & can verify / clarify this...

go to Hometown forum & look at top links for local dealers. There are quite a few depending on where you are at.

a competent dealer can assist you with any forms.
you will need to decide on trust or CLEO sign off.
tax stamp & be patient.... think paperwork is ~11-15 weeks now
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:39:25 PM EDT
Texas allows everything NFA. Getting you CLEO to sign off may be a problem depending on where you're at, but there are ways around that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:03:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Solodevice:
14" barrel
Top folding stock
870 receiver

Short barrel + stock. Sounds like a SBS to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:44:09 PM EDT
OK solo, where in TX do you live? From there we can make a few recomendations for you. :-)

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:16:46 AM EDT
I live in Richmond TX, I also had a unlawful poss. of a firearm (forgot i had the damn gun on the seat and it fell down between the seats got stopped and was asked if they could run a drug dog around my truck, i thought nothing of it said yes and viola.) and a DUI. this was all over 3 years ago. no excuse there just a stupid mistake. Would that stop me from being able to do this?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:31:34 AM EDT
knew something was missing from op

i would say with that bit of info you are prolly out of luck
you will need to do some research though

3 yrs ago wont matter much - that stuff stays with you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 10:35:29 PM EDT by jhm]
If you are not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm, you're more than likely OK to own an NFA item.

And, technically speaking, SBR/SBS, Machine guns, silencers, DD are Illegal in Texas. Though, it is a "defense to prosection" that the device in question is legally registered under NFA
Top Top