Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2002 5:03:04 PM EDT
What are the BATF laws on turning a rifle receiver into a pistol?

If I were to take a rifle, chop off the barrel so it is 3-4", remove the shoulder stock and made it so a stock cannot be installed, and modify the receiver, is this still a "short barrel rifle" in the BATF's eyes? Technically it is a pistol. What are the regs on a non class 2 average Joe doing something like this? Do I have to get it registered with BATF, or is it ok because it is a personal built receiver for my use? Do I have to engrave serial #'s on it? How does this work?

What if it was a preban receiver?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:14:37 PM EDT
I would imagine the BATF would frown on it. It would not be BUILT by you but modified and if you had to put Serial# on it that would mean you removed the old ones(big no no). The guys in legal could help you more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:46:27 PM EDT
I think you need to have a pistol lower to do this or you could go the AOW route.

I suggest you ask over at the Legal Forum.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:09:17 PM EDT
I think it must be a virgin lower, then you could go the AOW route and Form 1 it. Can't have a buttstock and must have some type of forward verticle grip that is not readily removable. Tax will be $200 with subsequent transfers $5, would be cheaper to contact an SOT to build it and then you could get it for the $5 transfer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:40:43 PM EDT
A pistol can become a rifle and go back to being a pistol.

A rifle can not goto a pistol but becomes a short barreled rifle.

A receiver unassembled is a neither. So buy a 10-22 receiver new. Assemble it as a pistol and document this. Then it can go back and forth pistol and rifle on and on.
Top Top