Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2004 6:15:11 PM EST
It this hard on the gun? I keep getting different problems with my DSA FAL and I was thinking of shooting it with the gas ring all the way shut so the bolt get's max force on it. Maybe this will help with my feeding and etraction problems??? Can I damage the gun this way? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:06:39 AM EST
No. In fact, it is said that in actual combat, most soldiers set it this way anyway, just to be sure. Have you drilled out the gas port yet though?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:39:58 AM EST
Ditto what Cliff said...

Standard gas port dia. is approx .093
Congo gas port dia. is approx .116

Open port to .100----.105 and test
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:14:38 AM EST
I had my Imbel carbine opened to .120 and it runs perfect at 3.5.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:21:57 AM EST
shit.

sounds like FAL shooters have a lot of extra hot gas.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:13:05 PM EST
I bent my gas piston shooting it on the fully closed position.
My kids played with the gas system while I was cleaning the lower reciever and they twisted it.
So just be careful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:50:51 PM EST
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:18:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
It this hard on the gun? I keep getting different problems with my DSA FAL and I was thinking of shooting it with the gas ring all the way shut so the bolt get's max force on it. Maybe this will help with my feeding and etraction problems??? Can I damage the gun this way? Thanks for the help!

You probably could do that, but the wear on your gun will be accelerated. My friend closed the adjsutment down too much and it just bends the $hit out the spent case rim, to the point where you can't reload it. If you were in a war, and it didn't personally pay for it, I would say go for it, otherwise I would follow the mfrs recommend on the gas port adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:49:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 7:51:51 PM EST by rynich]
Make sure your recoil tube is bright and shinny, and don't put to much oil in it, to much oil could cause a Hydrolic situation on the recoil plunger. If that is good make sure your bolt and carrier move very freely back and forth. If those are good make sure your gas tube is nice and shinny if not polish it, make sure the gas piston fits well, you maybe having blow by happening if the gas piston is undersized. If you have to much oil in the gas tube you could have sluggish operation, but I don't rhink that would be your problem. After checking those out then I would remove the front sight post and incrimentally move up as high as .116 drill bit to open the gas port. Put a dawl rod in the barral so you don't mare the rifling by going to far. I used a drill of .118 on one of mine and it functions great at gas setting 5. If you have an inch gas block you don't need to remove the front sight post. I allways go by drill as a last resort.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:43:38 AM EST
I haven't even looked at the dia on my DSA STG58 Carbine, it runs flawlessly set on 5.
Top Top