Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 10:29:34 PM EDT
What is the best way to acquire a target while wearing a head mounted optic?  A laser for the pistol, or night sights on the pistol?  What about flash suppression, will it be necessary to use a flashhider on the pistol?  Would muzzle flash be harmful to the tube, what about the glow from tritium night sights?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Vic!

Well I was considering using a USP Tac with a CCF flashhider (a silencer is out of the question due to state laws), but after experimenting around with my other USP with Merprolights on it, and a sig with Trijicons.  I have decided that something needs to be added to cover up or filter part of the light coming off the vials.  Or maybe using a set closer to the end of their life cycle.  A laser will probably be the best sight to use, could a filter or lens be put over a visible one to cut down on brightness?

I remember reading that some of the nightsight manufactures recommend green because some of the other colors appear dim in comparison with the green vials.  Has anyone done any testing with other colors, do they have as much of a halo effect?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
When I shoot with head mounted NV I always run a laser. This is a pic of my Beretta 92 with Crimson trace grips. I've never fired the pistol with NV without the suppressor so muzzle flash isn't a problem I've faced.

This is a fairly old picture I usually use the PVS on a PASGT helmet instead.

Those CT's are one of the very few visible lasers I own. When I order the new model they have for the Glock pistols I'm going back to dedicated IR.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
On the NODs I've used it would be impossible to use the pistol sights.  If you focus the NOD clearly enough to see the front sight, everything else (the target) is blurred beyond recognition.

You'd almost have to have a Laser of some sort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top