Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:41:50 PM EDT
Is there a limit (more than zero) to the amount of .22 LR that can be shot through my Phantom without causing a fouling issue?  The reason I ask is that my Kestral stamp is still a couple of months out and I have some varmints in my back yard that need to be handled.  Due to the proximity of neighbors I don't want to shoot the .22 unsuppressed. I have a QD mount for my 5.56 rifles that I can use on the .22 upper for the Phantom.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe once or twice, but I would not recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same can and called YHM on the same question. Tech support told me 22 is fine through their can and while yes it will be quite dirty, 556 cans have so much volume it would take thousands of rounds to have a major impact. Also, YHM will rebuild and clean your suppressor if you send it in should it ever have issues with db levels. Last i knew they covered that under warranty and the only thing they ask is that you from time to time soak your can in mineral spirits overnight and then blow it out. He mentioned if there is evidence that you have not done this they will not cover it under warranty. Also, when you are done shooting 22 through it, next time you hit the range blow 10 or so rounds of 556 through it to clear out the other loose crap from rimfire.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! It's a Ti 7.62 so it sees plenty of use on the .300 Blackout upper.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
if its a stainless can, shoot it all you want then dip it.

I put over 1000 rounds thru mine on my MG and it was pretty loaded up.  dipped...clean as a whistle.

if you're talking about the odd shot to dispatch a critter, go for it.  a couple shot here/there isnt going to matter too much.
besides, you have people that say "shoot some full power 5.56 thru it and it'll clean it out!"  dunno if I believe that, but a handful of shots shouldnt do a thing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's an expensive can to be using with ammo that is designed to be cheap and can be unreliable.  I wouldn't do it a whole bunch but then again you said you don't plan to do it a lot so kill that rodent!

Oh and damn you that's the can I want (for my first), how do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone's opinons vary on this...

Every time I've cleaned my sparrow it has only been carbon or at least all I can tell...

My Dad's Gemtech M4-02 sounds like the day he bought it in 2001 and ALL he shoots through it is .22lr, and .223 are still "hearing safe" as that is also arguable about 223 rounds thru a can...

This is just a THEORY, but as long as your not dumping 25-30rnd clips as fast as you can(full auto, bump firing ect) I don't think their's an assue... I think the issue comes in when .22lr guns are rapid fired that barrel starts heating up that starts to cause the projecticle to melt which winds up in the can.

Granted my Dad's can is only used with a Ruger 10-22 with a factory 10 round mag or a Walter P22.  

Just my $0.02, granted there are A LOT more folks here that are more knowledgable than me
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an expensive can to be using with ammo that is designed to be cheap and can be unreliable.  I wouldn't do it a whole bunch but then again you said you don't plan to do it a lot so kill that rodent!

Oh and damn you that's the can I want (for my first), how do you like it?

Love it. Here's link to some video from a visit to my C3 dealer prior to getting my stamp.  I fire some unsuppressed 220 subsonics for a baseline. You can hear the QD mount ratchet and then at about the 3:30 mark you hear "wow" when the first suppressed shots ring out.

http://youtu.be/KMXC763Ij98

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I put over 1000 rounds thru mine on my MG and it was pretty loaded up.  dipped...clean as a whistle.

if you're talking about the odd shot to dispatch a critter, go for it.  a couple shot here/there isnt going to matter too much.
besides, you have people that say "shoot some full power 5.56 thru it and it'll clean it out!"  dunno if I believe that, but a handful of shots shouldnt do a thing.

Titanium. I tried the SS Phantom. It wasn't uncomfortably heavy but when the Ti became available at a very competitive price and half the weight the decision was, so to speak, "a no brainer".
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Not an issue. Will take thousands of rounds to foul it and then it can be cleaned.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Titanium. I tried the SS Phantom. It wasn't uncomfortably heavy but when the Ti became available at a very competitive price and half the weight the decision was, so to speak, "a no brainer".

you can still dip titanium.  knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]

dude.  I dont mean to be a dick, but you need to re-evaluate your shooting location.  you can hear your misses whirr off into the distance and you've got houses (and cars) all behind your target.
if I was the people in the houses to the right about 45* and what seems to be only a few hundred yards from your targets and knew you were shooting full power blackout loads, I'd be VERY concerned.

ETA: YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top