Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 8:00:11 AM EDT
I want to build a Remington 870 for shooting clays, but not the traditional route (over/under).  I want to build something that will double for home defense/SHTF/pumpkin assault.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
18-20" vent rib barrel
Replaceable chokes
Pistol grip buttstock
Full length mag tube
and maybe a mount for my EOTech for when I feel like "cheating"

What I'm wondering is, will I have any major disadvantages with a shorter barrel compared to the typically much longer barrels used on most trap/skeet guns?  Will velocities be much lower with a 18" or 20" barrel, versus say... a 28" barrel, or do shotguns work more like pistols, getting most of their velocity over a shorter distance than a rifle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I suspect you will have a difficult time with trap.  Skeet might work with the appropriate choke.  I used my M1Super 90 once for hand thrown birds.  I worked okay.

Gary
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know where I could find information on shotgun velocities from different barrel lengths?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You should be fine with a short barrel for sporting clays. I use a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 21" barrel, vent rib and either Modified or Improved Modifed for choke.

Also use a Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" and have shot sporting clays and trap with a Benelli M1 18.5" with ghost ring sights and a pistol grip stock.

You will get some dirty looks from the high end Over Under crowd for using a short barrel black shotgun.....but who cares what they think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I know someone who used a Red dot sight when he was having trouble getting back to his usual shotting. (Were talking 99 100's all day) and I guess it worked for him I just want to hear a range report of your first time shooting with that thing
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Forget about velocity. The problem with short barreled shotguns for clays is the guns are short and 'whippy'. And not very well balanced either. Its difficult to keep a good smooth swing going with such a short barrel. A steady smooth swing is of the utmost importance in clays shooting. And field shooting for that matter.

I'd recommend at least 26", preferrably a 28. I have some 30" barreled guns but thats getting long.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Forget about velocity. The problem with short barreled shotguns for clays is the guns are short and 'whippy'. And not very well balanced either. Its difficult to keep a good smooth swing going with such a short barrel. A steady smooth swing is of the utmost importance in clays shooting. And field shooting for that matter.

I'd recommend at least 26", preferrably a 28. I have some 30" barreled guns but thats getting long.

+1     Slug-O-Matic.....................NSCA Master Class 536121
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wouldn't weight at the end of the barrel help with balance?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
That would depend on the shooter. I like others like tha balance about in the middle. Remeber that your frount hand guides the shotgun to the target.  See the bird, move to the bird , and kill the bird...

Slug-O-Matic
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't weight at the end of the barrel help with balance?

It might help some but its not the same as having the weight evenly distributed all along the barrel.

If you took a stick and tied a brick on the end, and it weighed exactly the same as your favorite Louisville Slugger, it still would not swing the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top