Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2002 3:13:04 PM EDT
I asked this question a couple weeks ago, but the answer given left me with questions.  I'm having my brother ship me his rifle because he owes me some $$$.  It's nothing special, just a Rem 700 varmint rifle.  Someone told me not to ship UPS but instead send it USPS.  I'm having it sent to a local FFL/gunshop.  It's packed in a wooden box that has been used previously to ship a rifle (UPS) to a manufacturer.  I faxed my brother a copy of the dealers FFL and tax stamp.  The USPS said they can't accept private party to dealer firearm shipments.  Any help would be appreciated as this is going to be my sons varmint rifle and we have a special occasion coming up and I'd like to present it to him at this occasion.  My brother lives in Atlanta, GA and I live in Minnesota (yaaaa, don't cha know).  Thank you for any help to come my way.  
Sleepy 717
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold an AR-15 to a gentleman on this board and shipped it to his dealer via USPS with no problems. I have also received three firearms from individuals to my dealer via USPS with no problems either. Heck, have him pack it up in a cardboard box (NO markings indicating a firearm inside), insure it for the proper amount, and ship it to your dealer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've also shipped many a longgun using USPS... this is from the ATF website and the USPS website:

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.htm

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 431.2b and c.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top