firearms .Aimsurplus will only ship to my listed
premises address . I live alone - nobody home
during the day , makes it tough to hitch up with
the UPS guy . Any legal way around this ? Do all
dealers read the ATF regs this way ?
Thanks NHSPORT
P.S. My workplace is bigtime gun friendly it would
be no problem to send C&R stuff there - all my
other gun stuff and ammo comes to me there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:39:28 AM EDT
Delivery can also be made to a mailing address, which is typically a P.O. box if not your physical address (a little tough for the UPS).

I have the telephone number for the local UPS service center (this is the actual local service center, not those assholes in Memphis who answer the telephone and provide lip service). When something is coming UPS and no one can be around to sign for it, I call them and have the shipment redirected to my work address or somewhere else more convenient (I've also had them locate the driver where I can meet up without having to have them make a reattempt). That's about the only way I know to get around your situation.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:11:22 AM EDT
If you are close to your UPS office after one delivery attemp you can have them hold it for pickup. I usally end up doing this, but its only about 10 minutes away from my house. If you are not that close that may not be an option.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:28:58 PM EDT
I'm not so sure about what you said about AIM. I bought my first C&R from them, and had them ship it to my home (where my C&R liscense is). I got a call several days latere from the person I had sold my business to 2 years ago stating that he had received a long box with my name on it. Evidenly I had ordered something from AIM a few years ago and had them send it to my business, and that was the address they still had on file to ship my gun. I was happy that I was friends with the person I sold it to!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:23:51 PM EDT
lc enterprises informed me that they can legally ship to any location in the state to which my ffl is registered. aimsurplus is just being unnecessarily cautious... maybe that's a good thing considering the bs surrounding interordinance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:51:18 PM EDT

lc enterprises informed me that they can legally ship to any location in the state to which my ffl is registered. aimsurplus is just being unnecessarily cautious... maybe that's a good thing considering the bs surrounding interordinance.

Please cite a LAW, not what "lc enterprises said."
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:59:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy:

Please cite a LAW, not what "lc enterprises said."

shit, you are correct, sir.

here's another heresay quote:

www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/collecting.htm

"When dealing out of state, remember that you can only ship to a C&R license holder or licensed dealer. Do not listen to any stories about how someone "knows" that it's o.k. in their state. It's a federal law. Make sure that you receive payment and a copy of their license before shipping the rifle. Only ship to address listed on the license."

contradictory info from random sources! ignore my former input, i can't find a 'real' reference anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 2:30:48 PM EDT
Ups in the weak link in the C&R shipping scene. I just got an Yugo M48 from AIM surplus and UPS delivered it to my neighbor and had him sign for it! So much for shipping to the address listed on the C&R license. Good thing my neighbor is an OK guy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:22:44 PM EDT
The reason the firearm has to be shipped to the address on the license is so that someone who is unlicensed can't use someone else's license. For instance, if someone somehow got a copy of my C&R they could not buy a pistol and have it shipped to their address. They may be unable to obtain a license.
This is also why dealers require a signed in ink copy of my license, and why I sign in blue ink to their is no doubt.
The idea is to prevent someone, like a felon, from being able to illegally obtain firearms.
You can contact the BATFE and request a change of address form and list your business address instead of your home address. The only thing is that the application wants the address of the location the collecting is taking place.
At the BATF FAQ page,

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

I found the following:
C2) May one license cover several locations? [Back]

No. A separate license must be obtained for each location. Storage facilities are not required to be covered by a separate license. However, the records maintained on licensed premises must reflect all firearms held in the separate storage facility. Firearms may be shipped directly to separate storage facilities as long as they are properly recorded as an acquisition in the licensee's records. [27 CFR 178.50]

The dealers I have done business with, SAMCO, Empire Arms, etc. will only ship to the address on the license. I have never inquired into shipping to a storage facility, and until I found the FAQ entry had not considered it. Read and search the BAF site and read the books you receive with your C&R license.
You may contact the BATFE for answers, or the dealer may be able to direct you to how to have it shipped to your place of business.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:19:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By green18:
Ups in the weak link in the C&R shipping scene. I just got an Yugo M48 from AIM surplus and UPS delivered it to my neighbor and had him sign for it! So much for shipping to the address listed on the C&R license. Good thing my neighbor is an OK guy.

You bet. I don't have C&R (YET!), but I know it's gonna be a pain when I start ordering some rifles and such. I ordered some mags from AIM, wasn't able to be home on the day they arrived.

I figured aw damn, now I'll have to pick it up at the UPS center. WRONG. A whole lot of mags worth a whole bunch of money left next to the garage door. Fortunately I worked it out to get there on time, fortunately it was just mags.

But now I know, once I get my C&R to try my hardest to be home when my rifles come. What if UPS had left a box with a rifle right there for anyone to come along and take?
AUGH!
Top Top