Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:00:38 PM EST
Can you do it? I looked in the FAQ but didn't see anything about shipping powder.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:09:10 PM EST
UPS, ORM label, must be taken to a Hub and will cost a HazMat fee
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:25:25 PM EST
Called UPS they said you have to have training in shipping hazardous material.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:47:39 PM EST
They DO have to have training in Hazmat...and if they don't already, they're violating DOT regulations every day.

What usually happens when one tries to ship something like powder (or loaded ammo) as an individual, is that the retail counter-type UPS folks have no clue about what you're trying to do, and they either freeze up or backpedal (like the folks that say "we need training to do that!"). There could be an issue with accepting a Hazmat shipment from an individual, because you probably don't have the proper training in packaging and (especially) documenting the shipment.

It's different with ammunition, since it's just ORM-D material and not Hazmat. Then you just have to convince someone that you're not a terrorist or something.

It may not hurt to research both FedEx and (I cringe to recommend these folks) DHL for their rates, concerns, and "issues." Then you can toss "well, I thought DHL was too expensive, but I like UPS better" at them...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:02:02 PM EST
I have found a FedEx terminal here that will ship Hazmat for me, but I too have had problems with shipping Hazmat items. It's not powder, rather natural gas samples. I would look around and I bet you could find someone who will ship it for you. They do need Hazmat shipping training and I'm not sure if all UPS employees get that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:33:54 PM EST
IIRC the shipper (ie you) has to have training as well, at least they're supposed to to ensure that you pack it correctly and all that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:00:20 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
They DO have to have training in Hazmat...and if they don't already, they're violating DOT regulations every day.

What usually happens when one tries to ship something like powder (or loaded ammo) as an individual, is that the retail counter-type UPS folks have no clue about what you're trying to do, and they either freeze up or backpedal (like the folks that say "we need training to do that!"). There could be an issue with accepting a Hazmat shipment from an individual, because you probably don't have the proper training in packaging and (especially) documenting the shipment.

It's different with ammunition, since it's just ORM-D material and not Hazmat. Then you just have to convince someone that you're not a terrorist or something.

It may not hurt to research both FedEx and (I cringe to recommend these folks) DHL for their rates, concerns, and "issues." Then you can toss "well, I thought DHL was too expensive, but I like UPS better" at them...
View Quote

For some reason, loaded ammo does not need to be shipped under a hazmat sticker.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:54:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By COSteve:

For some reason, loaded ammo does not need to be shipped under a hazmat sticker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By COSteve:
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

Sorry my post wasn't clearer, that's what I meant. Interestingly, primers by themselves are Hazmat (like powder) but primed cases are not, just like loaded ammo. Weird rules, to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:00:28 PM EST
Hazmat shipping training. That's a joke. Every hazmat shipment of reloading components I've received isn't packed any better/differently than crap I get from Amazon.

Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:42:20 PM EST
You need training.
You need to have a HAZ MAT Contract with UPS/FedEd
You need to have a Resource Center Contract

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:41:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:41:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 11:41:57 PM EST by dryflash3]
System Message
Top Top