Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 10:30:37 AM EDT
With the beautiful weather here on Tuesday I took a 1/2 day off and headed out to the 100 yard range.

One of the things I wanted to work on was a Sherluk bull barrel kit I put together than had shown promising results when fired offhand last weekend. 20" SS Ported Bull barrel, lightly hand stoned trigger, 6-24x40 Tasco scope.

With Black Hills 75gr Moly coated ammo the rifle fired a 3-shot group into one hole just slightly larger than a single round. A five shot group went into a slightly larger single hole that easily inside one of the 1/2 squares on the target. Sandbagged rest was used.

I'm very impressed with this barrel and ammo combination.  Federal 69gr GMM shot under 1", M855 opened up to about 1.5" groups. Forgot to try the 68gr Black Hills. I'll check it out next time.

My pre-ban Eagle Arms Action Master, which loves Federal 69gr GMM (consistent 1/2 MOA groups) also did well with M855, shooting groups averaging ~ 1" Though I did find that the M855 I was shooting (LC97 IIRC), did have a tendancy to string horizontally in both rifles.

For non-AR shooters, my Imbel receivered StG-58 put 60 rounds into a ragged 5" hole rapid fire, with iron sights, at 100 yards (Argentine surplus 7.62x51). I plan on putting a scope on it and seeing what it will do with better ammo.

My VEPR II put 90 rounds into an 8" circle, rapid fire. I had a Leapers (TAPCO) scope mount on this, but it was unusable as it was machined such that it was impossible to get the scope aligned with the bore.

Pretty good rapid fire shooting with iron sights and bad eyes.

My new (to me) 308 Garand was shooting Radway Green and would consistently put 8 rounds into about 3" groups. I tend to blame this on my (getting progressively worse) eyesight, and may try a better set of iron sights on this and some better ammo to see what it can do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a sherluck upper and barrel on my ar, with a DPMS lower. I have never had a problem with any ammo in it, and it shoots nice tight groups.
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
This is good to hear. I see him or his wife at the shows all the time and usually buy small items but have never purchased an upper...yet!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have been happy with MOA accuracy, but this $575 complete rifle kit is easily as accurate as custom work I've had done for three times that amount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top