Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I use all old wornout towels, shirts, socks etc. and make cleaning rags, carwash rags, etc.  I also use newspaper and vinegar to clean the windows in my house.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If you own a M9 or 92f and your switching the mag release and lose the spring like I did last night,   the spring out of a bic  lighter push button can be cut down and it also "lightens" the mag release if you shoot any kind of match. You can cut it to whatever "strenght" you want.

It does take some time and can be a little frustrating  TRUST ME
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 8:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dc4e] [#6]
http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/AlSkDjFhG/index.html
Check the many links on the left side.

I hope they don't mind.

I have used the target stand project myself!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TANGOCHASER] [#7]
Reel Scrubber is the exact same thing as Gun Scrubber but made for fishing reels. And Reel Scrubber is cheaper than Gun Scrubber. Go figure.

5.56 FMJ sucks on K9s. MK262 FTW!
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The castle nut pliers you use to tighten the flash hider on an M14 will also tighten the castle nut on an M4 buttstock.

I didn't have a proper stock wrench and used my M14 flash hider pliers.  Worked fine and didn't have to spend money on another tool I'll use infrequently.
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.rallytennis.com/product_p/suq00164.htm

If you have a problem with rubber grip sleeves sliding around but don't want to glue it this tennis gauze grip tape keeps it from sliding. The tape can only stick to itself so it doesn't leave any sticky residue on the grip. I have also found it useful to put it on an ak47 skeleton stock before wrapping it with paracord so the paracord doesn't slide around. I hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Long time ago before surefire lights and dedicated weapons lights, we would use hose clamps to secure 3 D cell mag lights to our forearms of our M16s for room clearing.

Tired of have rifle slings all over the place in the safe, s-fold your sling and use either masking tape or a rubber band to secure the excess.

CD
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I put a rag thru the A2 carry handle covering the ejection port.

A piece of tape holding the front to handguard and piece holding the backside to the handguard.

Ejected brass falls right underneath.  Field expedient and wasn't sure it would work but it was fine.

I'm taking some leather scraps, doubling up, then using that as my new brass deflector.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quick army field stip tips for the AR I learned from a buddy as I am a civvy. You can use your charging handle to depress the buffer tube detent and use your firing pin to take out your extractor pin . Sorry if this is duped.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
CRC QD ELCTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER works well to remove dirt,oil,powder and dust and it is cheaper than other "gun cleaning solvents" be sure to oil after you are done.
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Use kerosene to remove cosmo, even cheaper than wd-40. I shake my head when I see people steam their rust prone guns

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Cheap tip:

"Tag" posts are not needed in threads.....one merely has to use the "subscription" button, located in the upper right corner of nearly every ARFcom page...see pic below for location:

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
When changing out the AK-47 trigger group, pull the ends of the hammer spring up over the hammer. By using a twist tie around the hammer & spring you'll save your fingers from being cut if the spring happens to slide off the hammer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry if this tip has been reposted, but it can be pretty useful.

For those with Kalashnikov or Galil type rifles, there is an easier way of getting the recoil spring assembly back into the cover catch hole during re-assembly.

Instead of putting the recoil spring assembly into its notch on the receiver, set it just slightly below the notch. Put the receiver cover back on and sharply pull back the charging handle/bolt carrier and the cover catch on the recoil spring assembly should pop right into its place on the cover. This can save some frustration for some people, especially those with Galil/Golani rifles.

Also, a 12-gauge brass brush works brilliantly for cleaning out the gas tubes on both the Galil/Golani and the AK.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]
OST
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Since I have started shooting 3 Gun along with the wife, my ammo budget has gone thru the roof.  I have been looking for ways to save money and have a few....not sure if they have been covered yet, but I wasn't about to look thru all these pages

I have always saved old shirts, underwear and socks in an unused large trash can in the garage to use as rags for cleaning, polishing, automotives uses, etc.  Save everything....you never know what you will need to clean up and they are disposable if you have a nasty mess.  I cut up the "nicer" underwear to use as patches...just cut to size for whatever caliber you are doing.  the old socks make great mag cleaning rags....just start them up thru the mag from the bottom using a long screwdriver to get them all the way thru if needed on longer or skinny mags.  Who needs a "Gtool" priced at 30 bucks

For shooting practice, we use the cheap, thin paper plates we buy in bulk from Costco for simulated round steel targets.  Great practice for steel plates....just staple them to a 2x4 or 4x4 and set on the ground or make a stake.

Buy the cheapest rolls of masking tape down at Home Depot for target tape.  Who needs to spend 4 bucks a box for pre-cut pasters

Save all of your old toothbrushes for gun cleaning.....why buy brushes that cost 3 or 4 bucks when you can use your old toothbrushes that you would normally just throw out????

Ohh...and save your brass to reload or sell...even if you just save it up for scrap to sell at a recycler

Hope this helps you
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By cgv69:

I prefer non-chlorinated Brake cleaner. for any cleaning tasks. I will quickly get rid of any oil, residue or crud and is self drying. Just make sure to quickly re-lube any item prone to rust.

#7 O-ring around the front lug on an upper receiver will tighten up most poorly fitting upper\lower combos. It's cheaper and easier to use (and find) then an "Accu-wedge"

(edit to add - See the pic on page 3 of this thread posted by Russ4777 - it shows exactly what I am talking about. Thank Russ!)

Picture on page 3 never did show up.  Is it on another page?  Great thread!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Pry the cap off an empty WD-40 "NO MESS PEN" and fill it with whatever gun lube/mobil one, etc that you use. It is easy to control how much lube it aplies and it spreads it perfectly into slide rails of pistols and similar places.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Quick army field stip tips for the AR I learned from a buddy as I am a civvy. You can use your charging handle to depress the buffer tube detent and use your firing pin to take out your extractor pin . Sorry if this is duped.

both are errors
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:

both are errors

The firing pin works perfectly for breaking down a bolt, and the charging handle saves your finger tips very well...

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
OK I might be a cheap-ass, but hear me out.  I save the silica packs from new shoes, electrical equipment and so on.  I then take an empty Altoid box and drill small 1/8" holes for vents.  Fill the box with the silica, place a rubber band around the lid and put one in each ammo box.  You can then cook out the moisture once in a while and reuse the mini dry packs.
   Yes I'm basically saving the cash so my wife can go out and buy new shoes.  It all works out.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Red_Pill:

Cheap tip:

"Tag" posts are not needed in threads.....one merely has to use the "subscription" button, located in the upper right corner of nearly every ARFcom page...see pic below for location:

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/rt98208/sub.jpg

Actually they are if you are Gold level or above. At least if I want to start reading where I posted last in the thread.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Not sure if these have been posted.

Foam earplugs can be cut and fitted to work like accuwedges, only cheaper.

A little tape (maybe some thin medicine box cardboard underneath) on a carbine buffer tube will make your carbine stock lock up tight without spending tons on a CTR or other locking stock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#27]
for cutting flannel into patches borrow a quilters tools - rotary cutter, cutting pad and lay out/measure guide I cut up a 4 yard bolt of fabric into 8 sizes of patches in a little more than an hour, enough to last 5 years
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been doing this for years. I got sick of bulk pack .22 boxes spilling all over my truck seats/floor or in the dirt. The plastic jug Gatorade powder mix comes in fits a 550rd bulk pack of .22's like it was made for it. With a tight fitting lid, it has greatly cut down on spilled .22's.

Link Posted: 9/26/2010 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Dude i use the same gatorade tub setup!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#30]
reuse medical prescription bottle for the same thing...with a "Child proof" cap....
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I use synthetic motor oil for my car.  When I'm done "topping" up the oil when checking, rather than pitch the plastic jug into the trash I put it back in my trunk and when I get home transfer the few ml of left over oil that never gets completely into the engine, into a small container.  I use that as a very effective lubricant for firearm.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AkSarBen:
I use synthetic motor oil for my car.  When I'm done "topping" up the oil when checking, rather than pitch the plastic jug into the trash I put it back in my trunk and when I get home transfer the few ml of left over oil that never gets completely into the engine, into a small container.  I use that as a very effective lubricant for firearm.

I have a special "mix" bottle of oil collected from these jugs. There is always some left in the bottom of the empty jugs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Lot's of good info here.  My tip for soaking carbon off of my bolts and carriers:

Take a tall, wide mouthed glass jar, like a large Tostito's Con Queso jar and an empty Cambell's soup can.  Take the label off of the can, drill drain holes in the bottom and fashion a handle from a wire coat hanger.  Make the handle short enough so the lid can be put back on.  Put your bolt and carrier in the can, place it in the jar, fill with Ed's Red or your favorite carbon cutting solution and let it soak overnight.  What carbon doesn't soak off is easily removed with a wire brush.
Leave the solution sealed in the jar for your next cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:
I have been doing this for years. I got sick of bulk pack .22 boxes spilling all over my truck seats/floor or in the dirt. The plastic jug Gatorade powder mix comes in fits a 550rd bulk pack of .22's like it was made for it. With a tight fitting lid, it has greatly cut down on spilled .22's.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/coyotesilencer/IMAG0382.jpg

I use a plastic coffee can. I didnt count how many I put in there, but I estimate it will hold 1,200 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Tried a search and didn't see it mentioned.  

Something I use for sharpening of precision cutting tools (HSS lathe bits and engraving tools), but also valuable for checking progress on modifying parts you might be stoning, filing, sanding, or checking for wear or clearance issues –– a black Sharpie marker.  Best when used on parts that are shiny and oil free, paint up the part face you are working on with the Sharpie and then proceed to make a few passes with the tool you are using, or reinsert the painted up part into place and cycle the part a couple of times and remove for inspection.  Inspect the painted up areas for wear to either judge progress (did you sharpen from tip to tail or miss some material), recognize uneven removal of material (adjust your tool angle or technique to correct), or excessive wear that needs to be addressed (such as a burr or clearance issue).  Simply repaint the part if you need to check it again and repeat.  Denatured alcohol will remove the Sharpie easily when you are done.  I'm sure there are other paint-like materials you could use over a Sharpie, however Sharpies are cheap and easy to find, easy to add and remove, and I find it's one of my more valuable tools for this type of work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Rubber vacuum caps. You can buy them at autoparts stores, but I found mine in a box of random junk. I use them on AK bolt handles. Makes them more comfortable to operate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#37]
A half-hour with a hammer and sharp chisel can produce a great target stand holder.

On the wide side of a 2x4 I outline the board I'm using for the uprights. Then I carefully tap the outline with the  wood chisel. From there it is easy to carve out the unwanted wood, to create a channel through the 2x4.

To make it easier to set the uprights into the 2x4 I cut them at a 45 degree angle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SteelTalon:
Easy way to recover those tiny parts springs etc. that fall and roll away to unknown parts.
Take your shop vac or the house vac. Grab a pair of the wifes nylons. fold em over the end of the hose secure with rubber bands.and run the vacum in the nooks and crannies.

The vacum will suck em in and the nylon will catch it at the hose entrance.Easy to recover..
Peace
Steel Talon

Even better than that: to keep these parts from  getting away  I disassemble/reassemble such parts in a plastic storage tub. I make sure that the area behind me is uncluttered enough that I can find anything that gets past my shoulder.

Some guys will make an entire 'glove box' out of the operation. This makes sense if you are a professional gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ComBlocGunner:

I use a plastic coffee can. I didnt count how many I put in there, but I estimate it will hold 1,200 rounds or so.

+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#40]

LOL, I do the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Cheap Dessicant, = Boil in Bags of Rice,or Minute Rice in a Coffee Filter closed with a twist tie.

"Modular" Parts and Cleaning Supply holders = the cheap plastic Cases in the Fishing section.

Cheap Snap Caps, = empty Shell Casing (no Primer), fill with RTV/Silicone or glued in Eraser from a Pencil.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jmindler:
I've been known to assemble or disassemble weapons in a well-lit room with a bedsheet over my upper torso and weapon so i dont have to chase errant detents or springs all over the place. it might look strange, but if you're unfamiliar with a weapon and dont want any nasty surprises it works well.

I get in the bathtub and close the curtain and stop the drain. It is virtually impossible to lose anything that way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know if anybody has said this or not but you can buy Never-Dull in a silver can at wallie world in the auto polish section. It is a wadding polish that you can put onto a drill or on a brush and pollish anything from the chamber, barrel. or in my case i needed to do the trigger. I just did it to my del-ton because it was a little gritty and now its as smooth as cutting through melted butter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I figured I'd post a little home defense tip in here that I think is my most valuable tool...

Sleep naked. If someone breaks into my house, they get one very angry, and very naked man with a 12 gauge and a bright ass flashlight. Besides feeling amazing, sleeping naked could save your life!
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Inebriated:
I figured I'd post a little home defense tip in here that I think is my most valuable tool...

Sleep naked. If someone breaks into my house, they get one very angry, and very naked man with a 12 gauge and a bright ass flashlight. Besides feeling amazing, sleeping naked could save your life!

I nominate this for the most valuable tip.

Pill bottles and used film canisters are great for small parts and springs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By lew:
Originally Posted By Inebriated:

I nominate this for the most valuable tip.

Pill bottles and used film canisters are great for small parts and springs.

It also works if you've got friends that just come over. They learn quickly that I don't mind getting up naked... it's just awkward for them at that point lol.

And I second the pill bottle thing. Very good way to keep up with things.

Oh, and another tip that I've found works really good... If you're a shotgun shooter and have a side saddle or bandoleer type thing, then if you get a tube or bottle that will fit in, it's great for keeping ear plugs, or other small bits for survival or comfort.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, some ideas. These are all easy and cheap processes I have used successfully:
1) To remove cosmoline, field and detail strip the piece, wipe off as much as you can with some rags from the bore and small pieces, then put the items in the dishwasher and use the pots cycle (hopefully you do this when the wife is not home)
2) Another way is to use a hand steam cleaner (if you do not have one at work).
3) Another way is to wrap a weapon in a fair amount of newspaper, then put the wrapped parts in a black plastic bag and put this package on a car dash board for day. Check it and replace the paper if necessary and put it back the next day until the desired state is met. For thick cosmoline, you can combine some of these tricks.
4) If you have a wood stock with dings (usually not an AR), use some Simple Green cleaner to remove the outside material on the stock them put the stock and wood pieces in the dish washer. Cleans and swells a lot of the dings. It usually removes all finish. Do not use this method if you have desirable markings on the stock, etc.
5) Buy a cheap bottle brush to use to clean magazines. 99 cents does the job well.
6) Pick up some of the street sweeper tines found in the street. The spring steel makes great small scrappers and small tools for working on firearms and other interest. Another example: To attach pouches and gear to pistol belts, I sometimes use 550 cord and cable binders to secure them to the belt (much better than the old metal clasps). These sweeper tines can be pushed into the binder head to “open” it so it can be used again or to readjust the binder. Just like the 550 cord, clip the binder to length and use fire to milt the end of the piece so it does not dig into you.
7) Keep an eye on Good Well and other thrift shops for military packs, other gear or just large bags to carry your gear. I recently bought a large 5.11 pack for $10. They also have a lot of nylon Cordura webbing and buckles for next to nothing on old packs, bags, etc. If you are nice to the wife or mother, with some parts, velcro, and cloth, you can frequently make custom web gear, pouches, ammo and mag bags, slings, range mats, etc.      
8) Old inter-tubes also make great sight or scope covers and rubber bands for packs or other uses. I keep a selection and some tubes ready to make more. You can also use a larger one to place weapons in, bind both ends and even carry them under water.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#48]
When I lap scope rings I cut a rag with 2 slits where the lower rings are and place it over the action, it keeps the valve grinding compound out of the action and makes cleanup a whole lot easier
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I've used film cannisters to keep ear plugs in, forever. Can comfortably fit 6 in each and I have them everywhere. Glove box in my car and my friend's truck, range bag, pocket in two Israeli slings, etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Got this recipe for this gun oil when I was on the USMC Pistol Team back in the early 90's.  Trust me it is very good and will last you forever.  Share with your friends:

8 oz hoppies
1 bottle STP Blue (oil treatment)
1 qt 30 wt non-detergent motor oil
1 gallon transmission fluid

Mix well and use sparingly.  Enjoy.

Mo
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top