Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2010 8:52:44 PM EDT
So here's my problem. I'm 23 and have been buying guns since the day I turned 18. I've owned close to 100, and currently have about 40.

Long story short, I've fallen on tough times and I need to sell a large portion of my collection. In addition, I don't have enough space for guns anymore.
I am going to start with my C&R's and "fun" guns, which make up about $20k worth of firearms. I'm keeping the practical guns, like a basic AR, AK, 870, Glock, etc. However I'm selling my uber-tacticool safe queen AR to replace it with a unique semi-auto that will be my new "queen" rifle. I plan on spending $3.5k or so on this one rifle; this way I'll still have at least one really interesting gun, and I'll have plenty of money left over, too.

It won't be shot a whole lot, and it doesn't need to be very useful. I just want something that says "I know my guns, and I like nice ones".

I was thinking maybe an SVD, a G43, or an M1941. I also considered a nice FAL, M1A, or SCAR 17S. And I am kind of drifting toward a .30.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The rifle thats been striking my fancy lately is the Les Baer .338 Lapua. American rifleman had an article on one of their .308's that came with at 1/4" 200yard 10 shot group from the factory.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
about 5 -6 years ago I thinned down the heard. More because I was getting abit older and had more shit than I could maintain from rust ect. I had quite a few firearms I'd never shot in 10+ years or more.

I kinda went by what I hunted with most and by caliber as I reload, Also I wanted avaliable repair parts/magazines/brass, bullets ect. for what I'd keep, AR's, AK, 10-22 Rug, FAL, Savage bolt guns, Rem. 870, 700, Moss 500, ect,ect, No obsolete or oddball shit was kept.  

I made sure I got rid of my reloading dies when I dumped the Calibers also.

As I'd sold stuff. I sadly replaced it with the calibers I stuck with. Many more AR's, uppers with only stainless barrels, only stainless firearms, All Shotguns are now 12 ga. ect. Handguns 9mm,45 ACP.mostly stainless More 12 GA., 5.56, 308, 22 RF. ect.

I think I have about as much shit now as when I thinned the heard. LOL and good luck!

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So here's my problem. I'm 23 and have been buying guns since the day I turned 18. I've owned close to 100, and currently have about 40.

Long story short, I've fallen on tough times and I absolutely have to sell a large portion of my collection. In addition, I don't have enough space for guns anymore.
I am going to start with my C&R's and "fun" guns, which make up about $20k worth of firearms. I'm keeping the practical guns, like a basic AR, AK, 870, Glock, etc. However I'm selling my uber-tacticool safe queen AR to replace it with a unique semi-auto that will be my new "queen" rifle. I plan on spending $3.5k or so on this one rifle; this way I'll still have at least one really interesting gun, and I'll have plenty of money left over, too.

It won't be shot a whole lot, and it doesn't need to be very useful. I just want something that says "I know my guns, and I like nice ones".

I was thinking maybe an SVD, a G43, or an M1941. I also considered a nice FAL, M1A, or SCAR 17S. And I am kind of drifting toward a .30.

Any advice?

I was in your shoes about two years ago. I was 20 with 120 guns and still plugging along. I ended up selling most of my stuff during the Obama craze for insane prices.

you. will. regret. selling. them.

You won't get what they're worth from a dealer, you won't get diddly right now for them from an individual. you will regret it, and in a few years you'll be right back where you were.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of your list of maybes I'd go with a nice M1A. But that would just be me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#5]
In my mind, if you're selling stuff because you're on hard times, buying another $3,500 worthless toy is a completely retarded line of thought.

Get your finances in order before you blow it on more toys.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In my mind, if you're selling stuff because you're on hard times, buying another $3,500 worthless toy is a completely retarded line of thought.

+1  You need to get your priorities in line, or at least start trying to be honest with yourself.  

Sell your stuff First, correct your negative cashflow problem, and then worry about new purchases.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow! Must be nice to have money. I'm 23 and have 9 guns.

Sell, get your finances in order.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have said you need to get your finances in line first.  

Consolidate based on caliber, ammo availibility/cost, and lastly rarity/value.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
20K worth of firearms by the age of 23.  Damn dude, you did not waste no time.  I did not have a pot to piss in when I was 23.  

Sell everything except your favorite rifle and pistol and take care of business.  You are young and have plenty of time to rebuild the arsenal when times are better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

If you've bought 100 guns in 5 years, that means you've had $50-$100K of play money since you were 18.  Did you blow a trust and have to actually get a job now?

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably should have clarified my position so I wouldn't sound like a completely irresponsible brat...

When I was 18-19 I was making a lot of money (for my age) and living with my parents. I had no expenses so I just spent thousands on guns. My dad was into guns too, so he encouraged it. I would also rotate guns a lot, so I'd trade up, sell high, etc. After a certain point (when I went to college) I didn't need to put much money into guns because I could just sell/trade to get what I wanted.

I'm not in that difficult a spot right now; I have a steady job, a stable living situation, etc. But I feel like I'm not getting much enjoyment out of a lot of these guns. They take up a ton of room, are expensive to feed, and a lot of them are quite replaceable. Also I'm a lot more financially fragile than I used to be. I have about $1500 in savings, but I'd feel better with more. I'd also like to have some money for investing in other things, like a house perhaps.

So what I want to do is cash out about $20k worth of guns (most of which I can handily sell for a profit), condense them into one cool gun, and pocket the remaining of the $17k or so.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
if it was me LMT 308 w/ nice optics
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
FAL.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

if it was me LMT 308 w/ nice optics

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey man, I wasn't trying to be as ass, I was just offering up a suggestion.

Knowing more details, sure, sounds like it wouldn't be a horrible idea to buy something because you're just making yourself more financially sound, gun or not.

If I were in that situation, I'd probably be shopping for a SCAR 16 and put an ACOG/Dr Optic combo on it.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at the gun shop today, money in hand. I actually ended up getting a DSA FAL. I came in under budget, so now I can put the rest toward ammo!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I probably should have clarified my position so I wouldn't sound like a completely irresponsible brat...

When I was 18-19 I was making a lot of money (for my age) and living with my parents. I had no expenses so I just spent thousands on guns. My dad was into guns too, so he encouraged it. I would also rotate guns a lot, so I'd trade up, sell high, etc. After a certain point (when I went to college) I didn't need to put much money into guns because I could just sell/trade to get what I wanted.

I'm not in that difficult a spot right now; I have a steady job, a stable living situation, etc. But I feel like I'm not getting much enjoyment out of a lot of these guns. They take up a ton of room, are expensive to feed, and a lot of them are quite replaceable. Also I'm a lot more financially fragile than I used to be. I have about $1500 in savings, but I'd feel better with more. I'd also like to have some money for investing in other things, like a house perhaps.

So what I want to do is cash out about $20k worth of guns (most of which I can handily sell for a profit), condense them into one cool gun, and pocket the remaining of the $17k or so.

Sounds a lot like how I did it.

It's easy to build up quite a collection even while money is tight when your hobby is buying used and broken guns, restoring them, shooting them for a while, then trading up when you see something new you like.

Always wanted to be a gunsmith personally, never could get anyone to apprentice me though. All self taught.

If you're going to use the money to further your life go for it, if not then I'd hang on to the guns.

Good luck either way.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
If I was looking to spend $3500 on one gun it would be a nice AR in .308, either the LMT or Larue OBR, or I'd consider an entry-level NFA item , like a Mac 11.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Armalite AR50. You want to walk out on the range and have the whole line staring at you in awe after your first shot? Armalite AR50.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#20]
dont sell guns but if you have to dont sell any old or unique guns.  they will be harder to replace.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#21]
OK. For once I can give good advice.

I am three years older than you, and I was in your shoes back in 07. I have owned a ton of different guns myself.

I did what many did and liquidated the excess during the O-Panic and made a ripe killing, especially off my home-built AKs and my SKSs. I don't miss them.

I took all that money and put it down a Fleming HK sear. Best decision I ever made. Now I can shoot full auto with 4 of my favorite guns.

Buy something full-auto, sounds to me that you've already owned pretty much every semi-auto out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#22]
How the fuck are you guys owning 100 guns at 20 and 23???

I had a few decent guns when I was in college.  After college when I started working, I added to my collection, but nothing outrageous.  Now that I'm in my 30s with a good stable job, I have a good collection of quality guns, but no where near 100 guns.

Are we talking about 100 SKSs here?

Seriously, what's the secret?  Family money?  Ramen noodles?  Massive debt?  Did you invent the Snuggie?  Male prostitution?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating, I'd just like to know so I can make better choices in my next life...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I had a few decent guns when I was in college.  After college when I started working, I added to my collection, but nothing outrageous.  Now that I'm in my 30s with a good stable job, I have a good collection of quality guns, but no where near 100 guns.

Seriously, what's the secret?  Family money?  Ramen noodles?  Massive debt?  Did you invent the Snuggie?  Male prostitution?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating, I'd just like to know so I can make better choices in my next life...

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#24]
You lucky young'ns.  I am 55 and can only afford a 23 gun collection. 11 of them are NFA (SBR's, SBS's, MG, Suppressors and one DD) however, so I guess that isn't too bad.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Sell 'em.  I've sold guns that I had lost interest in and never regretted it.  If you keep a small core of firearms you'll still be the best armed guy on the block and you'll have a nice chunk of money, too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Hard manual labor and good connections. Plus getting ambitious and liquidating bankrupt a company's inventory. A combination of the two netted me a lot of cash...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I regret selling every gun I ever sold... every single one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I've sold plenty of my guns and I haven't missed one.  That could be because I always sold guns to upgrade and never sold anything unique or sentimental.  

I'd set aside anything unique or that has special meaning.  I'd also set aside any guns needed for hobbies you participate in (hunting, skeet, 3-gun, whatever).  I'd also set aside a quality rifle, pistol and shotgun (if you haven't already).  Sell everything else if you can get a good price for it and then do what you want to do with the money.  I totally understand the allure of having fewer, nicer toys (although I can't say I like the idea of "safe queens").
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#29]
So far the only gun I regret getting rid of was my M1A. Out of the 60+ that I've sold.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I worked gun shows for a distributor during college. I got 1 free Yugo SKS for a day of work. They were unissued in their cosmoline, I made rape during the Obama panic at $300 a pop. I had 13 of them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd sell. I'm 27 and am kind of thinking the same thing. I currently have about 15 guns but have bought and sold probably 40 or so in my life. I'm currently getting rid of a few guns to keep only the guns I regularly use.

It's like they say, "Be wary of the man who has only one gun, for he will surely know how to use it."

You've sold before (obviously) without remorse and I don't think you'll have it. Some people do, but some don't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I regret selling every gun I ever sold... every single one.

Not me.  I miss two I've sold, but not enough to replace them.  One would be easy to replace, the other, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#33]
post some pics of the collection and we'll tell you which ones to get rid of
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Long story short, I've fallen on tough times and I need to sell a large portion of my collection. In addition, I don't have enough space for guns anymore.

Any advice?

I don't sell my firearms unless I have no income to put food on my table and a roof over my head. If it's because I want another firearm. I'll save money until I can get it. Friends of mine sell their guns all the time to get other stuff. They regret it every time.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe he bought 100 mosin nagnts
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I had a few decent guns when I was in college. After college when I started working, I added to my collection, but nothing outrageous. Now that I'm in my 30s with a good stable job, I have a good collection of quality guns, but no where near 100 guns.

Seriously, what's the secret? Family money? Ramen noodles? Massive debt? Did you invent the Snuggie? Male prostitution?

As a single adult male that's 26.... it's simple. I don't have anything tying me down. No kids, family, etc..... I drive a 2002 F-150 bench seat roll up window pick up. I don't owe a penny to anyone. I'm a simple person with expensive hobbies. I work hard and I play hard. I make okay money as a cop and make a killing in off duty details.

Also working in the industry since I was a pup has helped. Getting stuff at whole sale helps.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Sell the safe queens and keep what you shoot.

As for picking out a new gat, I vote for the LMT 308 as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Sell the C&R firearms.  Do it here on the E&E at a good price and they will move quickly.  Hell, I may even buy one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top