Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 7:37:50 PM EDT
I want to know if anyone here owns one of these and what they think of it?  How well does the break work and what type of accuracy do these achieve?  Also, are they now making the side mag receiver and if so, does it throw off the balance of the weapon?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the first batch of BFGs sold.
The original brake (harmonica type) could be pretty tough on you, but the new 'shark' brake works extremely well!  
The Armalite brake rated higher in some FCSA tests, but at the cost of more back blast.
I think the Serbu at 25lbs is a very good compromise between weight and portability for a full-sized rifle.
With good ammo, it shoots sub moa, but does take some practice to become accustomed to the ~4lb trigger and felt recoil is still a bit more than a bench rifle like the AR-50
The mag fed version has been demonstrated by Mark, but I don't think it's in regular production yet.
In the past he has indicated that it would be possible to retrofit the magazine at additional cost when it does become a featured item.  I believe his production emphasis is still in catching up on backorders from the CA ban fallout and ramping up for production of the (magfed) semi-auto BFG.

I do also have an UltraMag50 upper conversion that has the side feed magazine.
I don't find that the weight of the 3rnd mag adds significantly to the heft or balance of the rifle.
The biggest factor to me, was the forward weight of the barrel (22") which I now plan to have fluted.

Anzio Ironworks does currently offer a magfed (from the bottom) and it's basic design is based on the Serbu as well.

UltraMag50 Report
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Should I possibly consider the heavy barrel version in the 36" length for the extra $250?  Also, how cheesy does the "Have a nice day" stamp look on the muzzle break?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to know if anyone here owns one of these and what they think of it?

I am the proud owner of BFG-50 #18 and I like it alot.  It is not as stylish as others but it has never
given me a problem.  For a no-frills rifle that is very reliable and has GREAT customer support you
will be hard-pressed to find another rifle at this price.

How well does the break work and what type of accuracy do these achieve?

I have the AR-50 brake on mine.  I would suggest that strongly.

Also, are they now making the side mag receiver and if so, does it throw off the balance of the weapon?  Thanks
 Dunno, never handled one...

LB
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top