Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 11:23:23 AM EDT
I'm looking for a semi-auto for the wife, 9mm or larger caliber preferred.  She has a problem, however.  She has a weak thumb on her left hand, and cycling the action is difficult for her.  She can barely cycle my 92FS.

Are there any semis out there that are relatively easy to cycle?

I know I can go to a revolver, but I'm looking at semi-autos first.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Kahr M-9 or M-40. Smooth action, small frame, and relatively easy to operate the slide. The price seems right on them, and I've seen nothing but good results with them. The trick, so I've heard, is finding them in stock(?) Regards, squib
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Kahr K40 that the wife couldn't move the slide on much less cycle it.

She's tried Glock, 1911's, Beretta, Kel-Tec, and several .380's (stay away from them with the ladies, spring is way too stiff for them) and out of all those she has claimed the HK USP full-size and will not even think of owning anything else.

....well maybe a P7 but I don't see one in her near future. Mine maybe...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My suggestion is perhaps try a Browning HP. Another thought is try a different method of racking the slide. By grasping the slide with the palm of the weak hand, the shooter extends the gun forward, using the strong arm to push the gun past the point where the weak hand is holding the slide in place. Think "hold, push" method. Hope this helps. Also, Beretta makes those neat little tilt open semis.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock 34 Tactical. Unfortunately pretty much all semi-auto's are tricky to cycle by hand but I found the 34 the easiest for my wife.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Browning HP, my wife loves it. She is petite. Also the grab-push works great, you can cock the hammer first to take that tension off the slide moving.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Get her the Glock 39, chambered in .458 Corbon.

Ok, I just made that up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Have her put her hand on top of slide with her fingers against rear sight with a little down pressure she should be able to rack the slide.This will only work on guns with slide that covers entire barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Browning HP, my wife loves it. She is petite. Also the grab-push works great, you can cock the hammer first to take that tension off the slide moving.

DITTO.....  Linda has very small hands, weakened by recent Capal Tunnel release surgery. The Browning HP is useable for her and her favorite

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Much as I hate to say it a Glock is probably a good choice.She might try holding the slide and pushing the frame(grip) forward instead of pulling the slide back.Its way easier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Get her the glock 19. Its a great gun for the wife and you'll probly like it also. I know I love my wifes 19 it nice to carry and fires nice also.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
SIG 239: compact, 9mm, great ergonomics.

Tried a Kimber Ultra Carry or CDP Compact in 45?  You can take it to a competent gunsmith so that it will cycle easier with some work on it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
get her a revolver.  it's her firearm and her peace of mind.  eliminate the slide-racking and you've eliminated any doubt in her mind about being able to fire the weapon.  and that is the most important thing.

if you stick with a semi-auto (assuming you stay within the original caliber requirements), i think you're saddling her with some extra liability.

just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ideas:
Revolver-
Ruger SP-101
nice, accurate, heavy enough to absorb recoil a bit.  or-
S&W Bodyguard or Centennial Airweight
snappy recoil, though.

Pistol- (yeah, I know, .380 is a lightweight, but...)
Beretta 84 or 85  or- in 9mm
Beretta Mini-Cougar D for size and fit and DAO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My suggestion is perhaps try a Browning HP. Another thought is try a different method of racking the slide. By grasping the slide with the palm of the weak hand, the shooter extends the gun forward, using the strong arm to push the gun past the point where the weak hand is holding the slide in place. Think "hold, push" method. Hope this helps. Also, Beretta makes those neat little tilt open semis.

Man BC, that's scary!  Those were going to be my words almost exactly.

coyote3
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
my wife loves her sig 225 in 9mm...great small hand gun! and man is it nice!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]
What ARLady said.

If the bad guy(s) don't die or run away after 6 shots, I doubt having another few rounds in a semi would matter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
HK USP Compact 9 or 40
or the Glock 19 or 23.

My wife is pretty good shot with either one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]
ditch the 9mm idea and go 38 or 357 revolver. if she doesn't shoot a lot she will be much better served with a wheel gun. Auto's are great but failure drills are a must. Also mechanical safties and such can be an issue in a high stress situation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife really likes the feel of the Karr K9.  Not to mention she thinks the dog in their adds is cute.  Anyway, I need to find some place where we can rent one for her.  Anyone know of anything around Denver or Ft Collins?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I would check out the ruger pistols.  I really hated the way they looked at first, but starting to grow on me.  I am trading in my GF's Taurus millenium for one this week.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
After borrowing a number of guns for her to try,my petite wife settled on Glock 19 with night sights. I enjoy shooting it too-very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife likes the USP 9 compact left handed and the Beretta 92.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Although they require some different safety habits to learn, couple of the ways that work for the ladies are to:

Hold the gun parallel to the body and push the frame and slide in opposite directions. She might be able to use the palm of the bad hand as well as thumb and fingers.

Other way is to use the bad hand to hold frame and good hand to hold slide.  Push-pull would work this way.  Few extra seconds to switch back,  but little practice would minimize time factor.

Other thing that comes to mind would be a slide racker as on scoped units, designed or modified for her use.  Along same lines, adaptation of a scopemount or part thereof to the slide.

Dependent upon intended usage, a lot of the gals seem to prefer a single action revolver.
Some like the grip, some the balance, some both, some the simplicity.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
My mother is very recoil sensitive and has weak hands (due to her small size and MS) and she doesn't have much trouble shooting her P95 9mm.  She can't shoot more than a box or two of ammo before her arms hurt, but she doesn't have any problems operating the pistol at all, including racking the slide.

A large or medium frame semi in 9mm will work just fine unless your wife is really weak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top