Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 9:47:29 AM EDT
A friend of mine is doing a report at school on the 1918 BAR. The project is that he is trying to sell it to the government after WW1 is over. He also needs statistics on the rifle from the war. If any of you have some good information on this machine gun or a good sales pitch please post.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
As noted in John Ross's "Unintended Consequences", (sorry I don't recall the actual page number), John Browning had Ad Topperwein demostrate the BAR to the military.

IIRC, Ad cut 20 - 1/4" thick 2" barstock disks and had a tosser step 25 paces away. He was instructed to toss the disk into the air, perpendicular to Ad and toss the next disk as soon as he heard the previous shot until all 20 disks were tossed.

Ad hit 20 for 20 and after the military folks had done all their ooohing and ahhhhing looking over the retrieved PERFERATED disks, Ad sent the tosser back to the same spot, except this time the tosser was instructed to toss them into the air sideways. So Ad was aiming at a 1/4" wide by 2" high disk when tossed. He hit 18 outta 20 that time.

This was all done off-hand with a standard BAR.

Needless to say the military was mightly impressed, btw, if you haven't read the book above I highly recommend it.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot for the help, he can defenitely use it. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hold the trigger down, and 20 rns od 30-06 comes flying out.  After the onslaught of WW1, that was a plus.  An easily portable machine gun, especially as the army was now going to "fire and manuever" tactics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top