Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2001 11:16:31 AM EDT
I am wanting to sell one of my rifles so I can buy a different one.  Can I sell it to someone in a different state?  I would assume that it has to be shipped to a FFL holder, but do I have to ship it from an FFL holder?  Can I ship it?  I searched this site and came back with no information.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're selling across state lines, under federal law it MUST go to an FFL in the other state.  You can ship it directly to the FFL, but its a good idea to CYA and get a copy of his license before shipping.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The receiver must be a FFL.  Any "non licensee" [you] can sent to a FFL.

Some idiot gun dealers (not quite a redundancy, but close) think they can't receive a firearm from other than another FFL, so your buyer needs to find one that's smart enough to know this.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what I thought, but wanted some clarification.  If they will not send me a copy of their FFL, I have a dealer here I can use.  It's just a hassle to try an contact him.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the states.  By Fed law you can buy/sell in adjoining states if they both have a reciprocity agreement.  From NJ, I can buy a rifle in PA.  Personally I find this amazing as screwed up as NJ is otherwise.

If you're talking about shipping it, it has to go to an FFL.  No way around that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am wanting to sell one of my rifles so I can buy a different one.  Can I sell it to someone in a different state?  I would assume that it has to be shipped to a FFL holder, but do I have to ship it from an FFL holder?  Can I ship it?  I searched this site and came back with no information.

Just went through this.  If you are smart, you will get an ink signed copy of the FFL to whom the buyer wants it shipped, AND you will have your FFL log it in and ship it.   This way there is almost no chance you can be accused of illegal trafficking if the other guy is a bogus buyer, and believe me, there are plenty out there.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Norm G, You cannot legally purchase a rifle from an individual in another state.  You can purchase a rifle from a dealer in another state if it is legal in both states.

macloud,  If the dealer won't send a copy of his FFL, see if he will send you the first 3 and last 5 digets of his FFL. You can then check the validity of his FFL and confirm his business address at the BATF FFL eZcheck web site.  See the link.

204.254.113.252/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top