Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 9:59:07 AM EDT
when during coating your rifle does duracoating flake or chip off easy? I just did a furacoat job with my friend last weekend it came out pretty good, and looks great but it seems it appears to have flaked off in a small area after reinstalling the parts into the lower. I believe I did it when I reinstalling the pins into the lower. I dont recall how much hardener or reduser we used. My friend told me he has done it in the past. So I went by what he said. The AR looks sharp as hell dont get me wrong. I was just curious to the combo of hardener, reduser, and duracoat mix, and also if it chips or flakes. WE sprayed on 3 coats of duracoat last weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:07:49 AM EDT
It shouldn't flake off. I would guess that the parts weren't properly degreased.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:54:20 AM EDT
ok well its not flaking off it chipped when I was reinstalling the pins on the bolt release. So that made me think we didnt mix the hardening reducer and duracoating enough. Also I used tape around areas I was reinstalling the pins. I believe it was degreased correctly, but this was my 1st duracoating job, and it was my friends 1st duracoating on a ar. He usually duracoats shotguns for hunters. Either way I think it came out extremely well. I was just unsure to the correct combo of hardening, reducer, and duracoating.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 11:11:53 AM EDT by PaBambiKiller]
Here are some pics of the Magpul FDE duracoated upper and lower.

Top Top