Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2011 1:16:12 PM EDT
This is a newbie question but I can't find a good source of information on which primer to use with which round. I only manual I have is Lee Modern Reloading. Maybe someone could recommend a book that is for the beginner?Thanks in advance for the help!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly are you looking for?  Most of the time the cartridge itself will determine what primer to use, i.e. small rifle, small pistol, large rifle or large pistol. Brand of primer is based on either a preference for a particular primer or by availability.  The only other choise is magnum or non magnum and that is somewhat dependent upon the cartridge and powder being used.

I am not familiar with the Lee book so I don't know what is listed as primers being used. Most reloading manuals will state which primer, by brand and type, and you can use that as a starting point.

If you can provide more information as to what cartridge you reloading as well as powder and bullet weight, some recommendations can be made.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I know most of my books denote which primer, magnum or regular, to use by which powder you use as well.

i.e.   If you are loading .223 Rem, some of the powders have an asterisk next to them saying you should use a small rifle magnum primer, while others do not.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I always use what the manual suggests
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I pretty new myself.
I pretty much use whatever primers are available around my area.
As stated the manuals will give you the primer which they used.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I found the information in my manual I had over looked it in the drawing that gives you all the dimensions of the cartridge.Thanks for the help!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I say pick one and stick with it
example.. I only load .223 with H335, which I burn using CCI #41 or #450 primers (they are very close to another but 41's are hard to find, difference is cup thickness).

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Rifle cartridges use rifle primers, handgun cartridges use handgun cartridges.*
*There are some rare exceptions in the handgun category and a rifle primer is used due to significantly higher pressure than other handgun cartridges.

There are also a few instances of small primers and large size primers both being used for a particular cartridge depending on who made the brass and the type of load. Two examples are 7.62x39 or .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
with so many brands of primers, powder, projectiles, brass etc any reloading manual, perhaps all reloading manuals in toto, can't list every possible combination of components available. In this case you'll have to use the published load data as a guide.

If you see a load using Winchester primers for example, and you have Wolf primers, go ahead and use the Wolf as long as you start 10% max and work up your loads.  Same principle works for projectiles.  You have some Berry 9mm plated bullets and can only find data for Remington 9mm FMJ or something.  Use the published data as a guide and work up your test loads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
"I pretty much use whatever primers are available around my area."

Unless I buy a large, bulk quantity, it's as cheap to buy locally as order online once you pay hazmat. And I can walk in and get them whenever I want.. so I buy local. The ONLY primers I can get are Federal 205s, which despite having not been recommended for ARs, have worked flawlessly for me. I am happy and plan on continuing to use them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
"ABCs of Reloading" is a good book to read for a general outline.

Your Lee Manual is good.

But.........

Most long time reloaders would say to get several different manuals.  

You'll learn that some manuals will be better on different subjects.  Not to mention that data will differ.  So, it's good to know a variety of information.

Then.............

As for ME...........

I use pistol primers when loading pistols and rifle primers when loading for a rifle.   Then, sometimes a manual will say to use a magnum primer and sometimes it won't.

GOOD ADVICE.........use what the book says.  

Read the book(s)..........they will tell you WHY certain things are the recommended flavor and/or procedure.  

Better safe than sorry.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever the hell is on sale!

I prefer CCI, but during the Great Primer Famine I bought whatever was for sale (got CCI, Winchester, Wolf and Remington in the loading cabinet now).

In truth, I don't have many loads that are pushing the pressure limits and I have shot just about all brands at one time or another.  The safe way to go, especially for beginners, is to drop 10% and work the load up again when switching brands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top