Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 7/10/2011 6:26:45 AM EDT
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the differences are on a Armalite M15 lower (or any other semi auto lower) VS a M16 lower? I know any class 3 parts or complete rifles are not legal to own in NY nor is it legal to modify a semi lower into a full auto lower. Im not going to break any laws Im just trying to learn. So before anyone tells me the difference is 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine there's no need I already know that part of things. I don't know about other states but in NY you cant seem to buy a Colt AR stripped lower. Anyone know why?
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
A full auto lower will have a small hole above the selector.

I doubt you will ever come across one, but avoid it if you do.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 3:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the differences are on a Armalite M15 lower (or any other semi auto lower) VS a M16 lower? I know any class 3 parts or complete rifles are not legal to own in NY nor is it legal to modify a semi lower into a full auto lower. Im not going to break any laws Im just trying to learn. So before anyone tells me the difference is 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine there's no need I already know that part of things. I don't know about other states but in NY you cant seem to buy a Colt AR stripped lower. Anyone know why?

Are you talking one where the lower is engraved for "Auto", or one with the extra hole?  Extra hole is a no-no.  

As to the Colt AR receiver, if it's Pre-Ban, and says "Colt AR-15" on it, you're fine.  If it's Post-Ban, it can still be a Colt lower, it just has to say something other than AR-15 on it (Match Target, Sporter, HBAR, etc).

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering about the one with the sear hole. Other then the sear hole is there any other differences besides markings?
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes there is additional machining done in the fire control pocket to allow for the auto sear. It is not just drilling the 1/8" hole.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes there is additional machining done in the fire control pocket to allow for the auto sear. It is not just drilling the 1/8" hole.

+1. No, i will not elaborate.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A full auto lower will have a small hole above the selector.

I doubt you will ever come across one, but avoid it if you do.

To make it even more confusing, some of the older colts had a larger hole above the selector but offset. It is where they had a sear block that someone has removed. They are fine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Typical S/A lower machined to Colt SP1 specs:

Factory Colt M16A1. Note how the thin wall extends much further back for sear installation:

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. No, i will not elaborate.

Meh.  I never understood why some people feel the need to act as the "sacred keeper for all things full auto".  There's not much to it.  A "little machining", and a semi lower can become full auto.  Then again, a "little machining" and a block of metal becomes an engine block / receiver / axle / whatever.  An auto lower has an additional hole for the sear pin.  The back of the FCG pocket has more machining done (thinner receiver walls) so the auto sear can fit in.  That's about it.  Here's a page that may answer your questions:

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/registeredreceiver.htm

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
So is it safe to say an older Colt lets say a pre ban A2 blue box would have the thinner walls in the back of the receiver where a sear would go but it will not have the small sear hole drilled into it? and for some odd reason if it does have a sear hole thats a no no and I would be smart to stay away from it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So is it safe to say an older Colt lets say a pre ban A2 blue box would have the thinner walls in the back of the receiver where a sear would go but it will not have the small sear hole drilled into it? and for some odd reason if it does have a sear hole thats a no no and I would be smart to stay away from it?

Unless there is paperwork with it, -any- receiver with the small sear hole is one you'll want to stay far, far away from.  That hole -is- what makes a receiver a machinegun in the eyes of the BATFE.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That is incorrect. Even older Colt ar15s have the thicker walls in the rear section.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Some older colts had a sear block installed to prevent the installation of a DIAS. Here is a pic from Quarterbore:

A lot of folks removed these (totally legal) and some folks mistake the sear block pin hole (which is just on one side) with the auto sear hole (which goes thru both sides). They are neither the same size nor in the same location. Here is another pic from Quarterbore:
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Also note that an ArmaLite receiver is high shelf.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A lot of folks removed these (totally legal) and some folks mistake the sear block pin hole (which is just on one side) with the auto sear hole (which goes thru both sides).

There have actually been at least three sear block installation schemes from Colt.  There is the one, oversized pin on the right with a vertical roll pin; two oversized blind pins (right and left) with the vertical roll pin; and a type with three oversized blind pins, one right and two left.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of folks removed these (totally legal) and some folks mistake the sear block pin hole (which is just on one side) with the auto sear hole (which goes thru both sides).

There have actually been at least three sear block installation schemes from Colt.  There is the one, oversized pin on the right with a vertical roll pin; two oversized blind pins (right and left) with the vertical roll pin; and a type with three oversized blind pins, one right and two left.

I did not know that there were that many different types. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the current "web".
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top