Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:02:14 AM EDT
I've been reloading 9mm for the last week or so, and am having an unusual number of seating failures.  Most of the reject rounds have a slightly high primer, with a few of them having a very high primer.  I'd guess the overall "failure" rate is around 10%, although many of those will probably fire on the first try if I take them to the range.

I am using Wolf SPP, purchased somewhere in the 2007-2009 range.  The brass is from the same stock I have always used; a mixture of once-fired WWB and range pick-ups.  
There doesn't seem to be any relationship to the case itself; percentages are consistent with the mix of brass in my bins.

It is possible that the press (SDB) is at fault, though I really don't think so.  It's mounted pretty well, and has recently produced a lot of good 45ACP rounds.  I changed the primer system over, checking the system for loose screws and pins, and have recently cleaned and lubed.  

So....
At the moment I am blaming the primers, but would like to hear thoughts on diagnosing the problem.  Should I just buy a couple of new packs of CCI or Winchester primers and see how they fare?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
what color are the cups?  I was using Wolf SP just fine and then made a new order and the cup color changed, all of a sudden they weren't seating as deep and I had misfires.  Of course I realized this after making several thousand rounds and I had to go back and re-seat the primers.  That's the last time I've use Wolf, Tula have been great
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what color are the cups?  I was using Wolf SP just fine and then made a new order and the cup color changed, all of a sudden they weren't seating as deep and I had misfires.  Of course I realized this after making several thousand rounds and I had to go back and re-seat the primers.  That's the last time I've use Wolf, Tula have been great
View Quote

After running 3-400 rounds through my gage last night, you'd think I would have the answer to that...
I believe they are copper colored, but will have to verify that when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top