Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/27/2003 7:26:20 AM EDT
Hey all--

I'm looking for a compact 4x scope for my Marlin 60PSS (that's the "papoose" take-down rifle).

The rifle is really small and lightweight and I'd like a small scope for it. I have a Simmons "Black Powder" 4x scope, but the thing is so damn big I've never even bothered to mount it to my rifle. Can any of you recommend a decent scope?

I'm looking to pay maybe $50, give or take a few bucks. Thanks for any help.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:34:50 PM EDT
I have a Simmons .22 Mag 4 by 32 scope on my Marlin 25N and love it. It holds its POA really well. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:22:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 7:23:52 PM EDT by Mach1]
Simmons also offers the .22 Mini-Mag 4X28

length: 7.25"

Weight: 8.25oz

I don't own one, but this is the smallest 1" diameter scope I could find.

Speaking of the Papoose, how do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one myself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:53:12 PM EDT
Thanks for the pointers. I checked out the .22 mini-mag or whatever it's called and I think I'll pick one of those up.

As for the Papoose. I love mine. I like taking long hikes and putting the Papoose in my backpack is a piece of cake, so if you do lots of hiking or whatever, I highly recommend it.

I have not shot many .22s. Come to think of it, my Marlin is the only one I have ever shot. I almost bought one of those Survival rifles, and I dry fired it in the gun shop, but the trigger was way rough compared to the Marlin. Also the Henry "Survival Rifle" just feels...chintzy and insubstantial, if that makes sense. The Marlin feels like a REAL, well-made gun. Try them side by side and you'll understand.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend the Marlin. It weighs almost nothing, I haven't had a malfunction in several hundred rounds, and it's pretty damn accurate. A couple of the drawbacks:

The carrying case is inefficient. For the size of the rifle once you break it down, there's lots of wasted space in the carrying case. I'm going to be making a new carry case though which will just be composed of a big piece of canvas with pockets sewed into it. I'll slide the barrel and stock into their respective pockets and then just roll up the rifle.

Another drawback is the sights are difficult to adjust. Somehow my iron sights got all out of whack and I was shooting 1 1/2" to the right at 25 yards. You can't just turn a screw and adjust the front sight like on the AR15; to adjust windage you have to take a hammer. Yes, a hammer, and tap on the rear sight to the left or right. I used a short piece of wooden dowel between the hammer and the rear sight so I didn't ding the metal.

Finally, the way the gun is set up, you have a tendency to press the magazine release while holding the rifle. The mag will drop out a tiny fraction, causing a failure to feed. It's easy to get used to this though and to take better care not to accidentally trip the mag release.

All that said, I've never regretted buying my Papoose. It's a great little rifle. I suggest you head out to the gun store and play with one yourself. You'll probably fall in love instantly.

I'm looking forward to adding another dimension to mine once I get a scope.

-Nick Viejo.
Top Top