Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 6/15/2011 5:52:17 AM EDT
Short story is a friend has an older Model 60 he had purchased in 1985 and it is no longer functioning.  He's by no means a gunsmith and claims a little metal piece came out.  He's giving it to me and I imagine it's going to be a pretty simple fix with a few replacement parts and a good cleaning.  Since it's a freebee, I'd like to see what else I can do it get the most out of the project.  Aside from the repair, fixing the front sight, adding a scope and a bipod, what else would you do?

I am considering refinishing the stock with a dark, near black, stain.

Any idea's or pics of what can be done to make the most out of a Model 60?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:22:42 AM EDT
Use it as a test bed to better your gunsmithing skills!  You can get multiple lessons from one of these little rifles. I have an old single shot 12ga that I learned to draw file on.  Also learned how to polish metal and slow rust blue on it.  

Do you know how to checker wood?  How about metal refinishing - blue, park, anodizing (the receiver) or spray-on finish.  High-polish the bolt?

How about building an extended charging handle?  Don't know if anyone makes one for the -60...I'm thinking the Galil kind.  

The possibilities are endless, and you have the chance to build a cool little custom rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:31:28 AM EDT
the schematic is available online if you google. Numrich has it and it's up other places as well... that may help you figguer out what you're missing.

the guts are fairly simple,. the e clips on the ends of the trigger and hammer pins are a hardware or auto parts store item if you're missing any or tweak/lose them and the gun WILL run missing about half of them because the stock will hold them in place and keep the pins from drifting... still a really good idea to replace them if needed.

here's a link for instructions on cleaning up the trigger-
http://www.aumih.info/Docs/m69_T.html

www.diproductsinc.com has aftermarket trigger blades  and trigger guards.

i'd suggest using Rit dye  on the stock, you can thin it with rubbing alcohol and build the color up as dark as you'd like with multiple coats.. dye particles are smaller than stain particles.

you could put Tech Sights on it, which would solve the problem of needing to replace the front sight, but wouldn't work so well with putting a scope on it.

a 60 is very light and i don't think i'd put a bipod on one. i'd save that for the heavier stuff... but that doesn't mean  you can't or shouldn't put one on it. the only concern i can think of is that with the slot for the tube mag there may not be much wood for the sling swivel stud to mount the bipod to bite into.

Leapers has an inexpensive Picatinny rail that will mount to the 3/8" dovetail and give you many more options in scope rings to mount the scope. however the rail will probably block the irons. DIP also has a clamp on rail.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 9:49:53 AM EDT
Thanks for the ideas.  I plan on using it as a good learning tool and the rit is a great way to do the stock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:09:36 AM EDT
A little note... I've heard of semi auto Marlin's "little metal piece falling out" as being a broken hammer. Usually from dry firing too much.

But yes, definitely use this as an opportunity to better your gunsmithing skills for free! I wish I was given a non-working gun and the chance to make it working. That's always satisfying.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:18:07 PM EDT
I had a Marlin 60 that I bought for $100.00 bucks. I must have put a thousand rounds throught it. I really like tube feed .22's. They are fun to shoot. Great starter rifle for a kid also. My little girl was shooting it when she was 10.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:02:25 PM EDT
I purchased a M 60 Marlin 37 years ago from Kmart for $39. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I shot in that gun. I shot a 500 brick yesterday with that gun... Great cheap fun!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:28:00 PM EDT
Lots of Marlin 60 answers can be found here  http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=217
Top Top