Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2013 3:21:55 PM EDT
I have been issued the PASGT, MICH and ACH and have recently seen the tanker CVC helmets for sale (Apparently we were supposed to get these on the last go around to use in our ASV's but were not lucky enough to get them.)

Im thinking of getting one and setting it up for SHTF and also for future use with NVGs if I can ever afford a PVS-14 from TNVC.

Any reliable places to get them?

Pros?

Cons?

Suggestions on setups?

Any reason fore or against getting this over a regular high cut ballistic helmet?

ETA: Also I would like to add rails to use with a peltor headset as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, they're cheaper than a TC2001,..................

Make sure you get a ballistic rated later issue CVC not the fiberglass used in the 80s and 90s.

Throw a helmet cover on it, some ARC Rails and a Norotos Universal NVD Shroud and nobody can tell it from a FAST.   PRobably why the airsofters have driven up prices on these things.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah Im looking for a DH-132B whats a reasonable price and a reputable source?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I generally find them for around $50 without liner at random places.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Without the liner there is no way to wear it.  They are oversized and made to only be worn with the liner, you may have to go a step down in size if your going to drill bracket holes in one. The liner contains the straps and elastic meant to keep it on your head.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Without the liner there is no way to wear it.  They are oversized and made to only be worn with the liner, you may have to go a step down in size if your going to drill bracket holes in one. The liner contains the straps and elastic meant to keep it on your head.

View Quote

There are upgrade/conversion kits that come with new harnesses pads and velcro. High cut helmets that are IIIA rated the best price I could find is 400 for only a shell or 450 for a complete one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you want to do that? Those things are retarded for dismounted work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Do what?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You install the 1 7/8" dia hook velcro "dots" that are used in the MICH, so you can use the MICH pads in it instead of the mesh/foam comms liner.  Drill holes for mounting chinstrap/ARC Rails.....Po'Boy TC2001.......that's why.

Have a custom Multicam cover made for it, bolt some ARC Rails and NVD Shroud on it with an OpsCore H Chinstrap and nobody will know you aren't wearing a FAST.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You install the 1 7/8" dia hook velcro "dots" that are used in the MICH, so you can use the MICH pads in it instead of the mesh/foam comms liner.  Drill holes for mounting chinstrap/ARC Rails.....Po'Boy TC2001.......that's why.

Have a custom Multicam cover made for it, bolt some ARC Rails and NVD Shroud on it with an OpsCore H Chinstrap and nobody will know you aren't wearing a FAST.
View Quote

Pretty much this. And you save atleast $300 compared to buying the cheapest Rabintex helmet I could find.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Oops, was logged into the company account!  Well, the info I posted above is still valid.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I had previously had posted about having an abundance of DH-132b Helmets (that I ran into (connex inserts full worth)), I've been modding a few CVC helmets for very cheap (due to the fact I get all the parts free, thanks to a connex we found full of helmet stuff on our COP we closed) and they work good, they run a little large but if you get thicker pads you should be good to go, ill post photos tomorrow maybe.

I tried selling CVC's last year and the only buyers I could get were from Russia, seems now the business is booming thanks to Airsofters. Imho they work good for real world use, we used them in our vehicles and on field exercises because we can use the Peltors we were issued with them (seeing how even with the ACH they still smash your ears)
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They come in two levels of ballistic protection.

132B should be the heaviest/best ballistic protection version

the 132A is the lighter/less ballistic protection version, but still gives ballistic protection.

There are also ones that have no ballistic rating, the ones from when they started making them in the 1970's up until the late 1980's or so.

You can simply pull out the crap suspension, put velcro dots and the aero pad system in, and drill holes and mount many of the common suspension systems on it.

It didn't work for me (just didn't feel right for some reason) but my buddies have done it and liked it.

View Quote

My biggest worry other then getting a knock off of non ballistic helmet is drilling the holes wrong and ruining it. I honestly hate wearing my helmets as it is but I def understand its use for SHTF. And of course for the all important and dangerous motor pool mondays.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I have like 3 of those that were issued to me when I was a tanker sitting in a box in my garage. Who knew they were somewhat useful?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's some great photos that I found on flickr;

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My CVC old version.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Make sure you get a ballistic rated later issue CVC not the fiberglass used in the 80s and 90s.

Throw a helmet cover on it, some ARC Rails and a Norotos Universal NVD Shroud and nobody can tell it from a FAST.   PRobably why the airsofters have driven up prices on these things.

View Quote

This, back in my day they were just bump helmets.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had fiberglass helmets during the civil war?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump helmet hell,  what do you no about helmets you were issued a rifle and boots.  Marine Armor has kevlar rated cvc helmets.  The Army had  fiberglass shells then issued  a thin kevlar shell in the 90s.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Bump helmet hell,  what do you no about helmets you were issued a rifle and boots.  Marine Armor has kevlar rated cvc helmets.  The Army had  fiberglass shells then issued  a thin kevlar shell in the 90s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the progression would be the 1/4" thick fiberglass "bump" level rated helmet in 80s to mid 9ps when they upgraded the CVC132A think kevlar with 1200fps to a DH-132B 3/4" thick  PASGT level protection, 2000fps.

I guess the way to tell the fiberglass from the MICH level is to look at the cloth weave inside if there is no mfg label..

Here is a page with all the NSNs associated:  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you find one and can pick it up for me Id be happy to pay you for the effort. Every place Iv seen them want 2-3x that. I now have a 132A but I think Ill build it into a range helmet and the 132B for SHTF
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Wats the easiest way of differentiating between models?

A local store has a decent looking one with the liner for $50. Just hoping it is a ballistic version...

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd say the thickness. I have a Rabintex ACH3 and I'll try to put up pics comparing the thickness. It won't be an exact comparison but I think the difference in thickness will be easy to tell. All look for any markings or stickers on he shell itself. That head liner should pull out pretty easy it's only held in by a patch of Velcro.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#25]
It is a dh-132a

that means its ballistic, but not as ballistic at the b model, correct?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#26]
It is a dh-132a

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It is a dh-132a

View Quote

Correct. The A is level 3 and the B is 3A rated
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm guessing its the other way around. Isn't IIIa the lesser of the two?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

No the 3A (on the left) is the ACH-3 on the Right is the CVC model A.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ground one of the fiberglass ones into the shape of a football.....  Using the 'fast slew' button on the commanders handstation on a Bradley CFV.  Good Lord, XO was pissed.  It was his helmet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. 3a is a higher rating than 3. Same with LE body armor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I used the shell from an old non-ballistic CVC I had to make a cheap bump helmet out of - cost was basically $0, other than buying some extra velcro for it - the harness was a spare USGI ACH harness that I had and didn't need, as I'd upgraded to the Ops Core harness, DCU (tan) eyewear retention straps, spare ACH pad set with Lowe's velcro and some spray paint.  It also has a USGI NVG mount that I installed while it was actively being used as a CVC.  

Nothing fancy or special, but like I said, it makes for a good, lightweight bump helmet.  If you can get a cheap surplus CVC or CVC shell, it's not a bad deal, IMHO.  I can use it with my Peltors or Sordins no problem, but those are with the standard headband, not sure whether or not the rails will fit.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I used the shell from an old non-ballistic CVC I had to make a cheap bump helmet out of - cost was basically $0, other than buying some extra velcro for it - the harness was a spare USGI ACH harness that I had and didn't need, as I'd upgraded to the Ops Core harness, DCU (tan) eyewear retention straps, spare ACH pad set with Lowe's velcro and some spray paint.  It also has a USGI NVG mount that I installed while it was actively being used as a CVC.  

Nothing fancy or special, but like I said, it makes for a good, lightweight bump helmet.  If you can get a cheap surplus CVC or CVC shell, it's not a bad deal, IMHO.  I can use it with my Peltors or Sordins no problem, but those are with the standard headband, not sure whether or not the rails will fit.  

~Augee
View Quote

This is what I am going to do with the model A helmet I have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballistic_Protection_Levels.shtml

it looks like helmets dont have iii and iiia ratings

it seems the NIJ has a separate system for helmets
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um.....no.

Soft armor, from lowest to highest rating, goes I, IIA, II, IIIA.
III and IV are rifle-rated, and pretty much restricted to hard plates.

IIRC, most helmets are rated to roughly IIIA equivalence, plus fragmentation threats.

Put it this way, to be rated Level 3, not 3A, it has to be able to stop multiple 7.62mm NATO rounds at fairly close range.
3A just rates for .44mag and hot 9mm SMG levels, not rifle.

Edit to highlight the part with which I disagree.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, i was lost there for a second.

Dont trust everything you read on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd go with a TC2001 over a CVC any day and they can be had for $200-$250 NIB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top