Posted: 4/14/2006 2:37:39 PM EDT
How hard are they to install?

What tools do you need?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 3:02:51 PM EDT by wildearp]

Originally Posted By Jaybo:

What tools do you need?

You need a drill jig to install the rear.  The jig comes with the proper drill and tap, IIRC.   Brownells sells it.  The front is a glue-on.  For the front you mark the barrel with a pencil outline from the sight and then use a dremel to rough up the barrel.  The sight comes with Devcon pro-steel epoxy to install it directly over your front bead, or ramped bead.  

Too bad you aren't local, or I would do it for you.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 3:02:41 PM EDT by wildearp]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 6:47:05 AM EDT by Jaybo]

Originally Posted By wildearp:

What tools do you need?

You need a drill jig to install the rear.  The jig comes with the proper drill and tap, IIRC.   Brownells sells it.  The front is a glue-on.  For the front you mark the barrel with a pencil outline from the sight and then use a dremel to rough up the barrel.  The sight comes with Devcon pro-steel epoxy to install it directly over your front bead, or ramped bead.  

Well, I appreciate the offer, anyway.

I guess I'll check the price on the jig - I have a drill press available...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:16:55 AM EDT

What tools do you need?

You don't need a drill press with the jig.  It has drill guide bushings and the jig bolts to your receiver.  No way to screw it up with a hand drill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:23:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 7:25:20 AM EDT by Jaybo]

What tools do you need?

You don't need a drill press with the jig.  It has drill guide bushings and the jig bolts to your receiver.  No way to screw it up with a hand drill.

Sweet! What's the part number on the jig, do you remember? Also, how hard is it to work with a rifle sighted barrel? The best deal I'm finding for a Remington barrel is the 20" rifle sight version. Of course, I could save a few bucks and go with a Mossberg barrel...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:56:56 AM EDT
Unfortunately, Brownell's no longer sells it.  Apparently, it didn't sell well...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:35:12 PM EDT
You could have WilsonCombat do it for you. It cost me $45, that includes return shipping to you. Turn-around was only a week.

I was very happy with the results...customer service was EXCELLENT.

Have a good one!

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:07:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2006 9:11:50 AM EDT by GySgtD]
I drilled and tapped it myself.  Total installation cost was only a few bucks for a single tap, wrench, and drill bit.  IIRC, about $7 at Home Depot.  Didn't use any drilling fixture; just used the rear sight as such.

Of course, I did screw it up

I'm probably the only one in the world with three screws holding down my rear Trak Lock sight...  A house guest interupted me while I was tapping the forward hole.  I broke the tap off in the receiver, and it remains there to this day.  Attempts at removal were fruitless, and were tearing up the receiver.  I ended up dremeling off the excess tap, and drilled a new hole to the forward right of it.

Looks kinda unusual...
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:28:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GySgtD:
I drilled and tapped it myself.  Total installation cost was only a few bucks for a single tap, wrench, and drill bit.  IIRC, about $7 at Home Depot.  Didn't use any drilling fixture; just used the rear sight as such.

Of course, I did screw it up

I'm probably the only one in the world with three screws holding down my rear Trak Lock sight...  A house guest interupted me while I was tapping the forward hole.  I broke the tap off in the receiver, and it remains there to this day.  Attempts at removal were fruitless, and were tearing up the receiver.  I ended up dremeling off the excess tap, and drilled a new hole to the forward right of it.

Looks kinda unusual...

Got pics?

I may let Scattergun do the mounting. I'll be sending then the shotgun for a refinish. ..
Top Top