Posted: 4/14/2006 1:37:39 PM EST
How hard are they to install?

What tools do you need?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:59:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 2:02:51 PM EST by wildearp]

Originally Posted By Jaybo:

What tools do you need?

You need a drill jig to install the rear. The jig comes with the proper drill and tap, IIRC. Brownells sells it. The front is a glue-on. For the front you mark the barrel with a pencil outline from the sight and then use a dremel to rough up the barrel. The sight comes with Devcon pro-steel epoxy to install it directly over your front bead, or ramped bead.

Too bad you aren't local, or I would do it for you.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:02:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 2:02:41 PM EST by wildearp]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:45:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 5:47:05 AM EST by Jaybo]

Originally Posted By wildearp:

What tools do you need?

You need a drill jig to install the rear. The jig comes with the proper drill and tap, IIRC. Brownells sells it. The front is a glue-on. For the front you mark the barrel with a pencil outline from the sight and then use a dremel to rough up the barrel. The sight comes with Devcon pro-steel epoxy to install it directly over your front bead, or ramped bead.

Well, I appreciate the offer, anyway.

I guess I'll check the price on the jig - I have a drill press available...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:16:55 AM EST

What tools do you need?

You don't need a drill press with the jig. It has drill guide bushings and the jig bolts to your receiver. No way to screw it up with a hand drill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:23:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 6:25:20 AM EST by Jaybo]

What tools do you need?

You don't need a drill press with the jig. It has drill guide bushings and the jig bolts to your receiver. No way to screw it up with a hand drill.

Sweet! What's the part number on the jig, do you remember? Also, how hard is it to work with a rifle sighted barrel? The best deal I'm finding for a Remington barrel is the 20" rifle sight version. Of course, I could save a few bucks and go with a Mossberg barrel...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:56:56 AM EST
Unfortunately, Brownell's no longer sells it. Apparently, it didn't sell well...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:35:12 PM EST
You could have WilsonCombat do it for you. It cost me $45, that includes return shipping to you. Turn-around was only a week.

I was very happy with the results...customer service was EXCELLENT.

Have a good one!

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:07:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2006 8:11:50 AM EST by GySgtD]
I drilled and tapped it myself. Total installation cost was only a few bucks for a single tap, wrench, and drill bit. IIRC, about $7 at Home Depot. Didn't use any drilling fixture; just used the rear sight as such.

Of course, I did screw it up

I'm probably the only one in the world with three screws holding down my rear Trak Lock sight... A house guest interupted me while I was tapping the forward hole. I broke the tap off in the receiver, and it remains there to this day. Attempts at removal were fruitless, and were tearing up the receiver. I ended up dremeling off the excess tap, and drilled a new hole to the forward right of it.

Looks kinda unusual...
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:28:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By GySgtD:
I drilled and tapped it myself. Total installation cost was only a few bucks for a single tap, wrench, and drill bit. IIRC, about $7 at Home Depot. Didn't use any drilling fixture; just used the rear sight as such.

Of course, I did screw it up

I'm probably the only one in the world with three screws holding down my rear Trak Lock sight... A house guest interupted me while I was tapping the forward hole. I broke the tap off in the receiver, and it remains there to this day. Attempts at removal were fruitless, and were tearing up the receiver. I ended up dremeling off the excess tap, and drilled a new hole to the forward right of it.

Looks kinda unusual...

Got pics?

I may let Scattergun do the mounting. I'll be sending then the shotgun for a refinish. ..
Top Top