Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2003 12:19:25 PM EDT
Today in a local gun shop I saw a Savage Bolt gun in 17 Hornady, stainless, with a laminated stock. Detachable mag.

I almost got in purely on impulse then thought maybe I better check in with the gang here.

Anybody know anything about these?

I'd use is for plinking / target practice after I kick myself silly with heavier calibers.

It comes with a scope mount but I would need to add the scope myself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot folks say that Savage is the best gun for the money now. Some brands are better but they'll cost a lot more.

I'd say you're not going to be disappointed.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#2]
OK I got it. here is a pic from the Savage web site.

I found a set of Weaver rings (high) at Walmart of all places and they look to be about the right height for a 40 mm objective. I sat one of my 40mm scopes on top and the front bell clears the rifle by a couple mm.

Have not shot it yet but the ammo looks kinda funny. The bullets are only 17 grains!!

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I guy I shoot with has one and it is very accurate.  I saw what looked to be a 15 shot group you could cover with a quarter at 50 feet.  His eyes are bad, and I know it is more accurate than that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
How much did you get it for?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I paid $275 for the rifle but then you have to add rings and a scope of course. I decided to add a Bushnell Elite 3200 10 x 40 mildot. I have one of these scopes on another rifle and like the target turrets. I'll try to post a pic after I get it all put together and let you know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Savage, except mine is blued with the synth. stock.  Excellent value in a rifle.  

OSA
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Savage blued with the heavy barrel and composite stock.It came with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope all for $229. I love the gun and it exceeds my expectations. It's lightweight, fairly quiet,and a real tack driver.Only dislike is the trigger.Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
You Savage owners, do their triggers compare to a Marlin, kinda heavy?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't say since I have not shot mine yet but hopefully I will this weekend.

I did try the trigger out in the gun shop with a snap cap. I'd say it had some creep and was on the heavy side. Still you're talking about a rifle thats under $300.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the matte heavy-barreled one with the synthetic stock. Looks like a mini tactical rifle. I had my local gunsmith work the trigger a little; now it has a nice pull. I bought one of the BSA Sweet 17 2-7X32 scopes from MidwayUSA. Don't laugh about the BSA until you hear me out. It is calibrated for the .17HMR. The top turret is marked from 100 to 300 yards. Sight it in at 100 yards. Then turn the knob to the distance of whatever you are shooting at and hold dead on. I have shot out to 200 yards then back at 100 yards and it returns to zero.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My scope's not calibrated for 17HMR so I'm planning on using the  'Kentucky windage' method for different distances

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I got to the range to day and shot this rifle. Shoots fine, no recoil, fairly quiet.

My only complaints are the ammo is expensive and the trigger has a really heavy pull.

Still I managed to shoot 1" groups at 100 yds with it.

You can go here if you want to see the setup and the groups I shot.

If any of you are guitar players you can also check out the (Fender) 5E3 "Tweed Deluxe" tube amp I built from scratch.

briefcase.yahoo.com/ecspitler
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like some vertical stringing.  I suspect you can knock that down to a 1/2" group over time.  

Try some other ammo, too.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top